Solved

AutoCAD to GDB conversion Shape Length Attribute Lost

• 29 November 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hi, Im trying to Convert a DFX file to a GDB. The CAD file is a repesntation of a Piping System. The conversion runs successfully but pipes that run vertically (along x axis) loose their shape length.

For the Reader in the format attribute tab: autocad_color, autocad_entity, autocad_layer, fme_attrib_info{}.field_value are checked.

I'm using FME Desktop 2014, AutoCAD 2013, ArcGIS/ArcScene 10.1

The DFX is 2007 Format

icon

Best answer by lars_de_vries 29 November 2018, 21:44

View original

5 replies

Badge +3

add length_calculator transformer and save length as an attribute, then you will get it for entire fme session

Badge +3

FileGDB doesn't know its way with vertical lines. The SHAPE_Lentgh attributen is calculated in 2D. Thuis vertical lines won't receive a balie.

As @fkemminje proposes, you van use a LengthCalculator transformer to calculate the 3D length in a separate attribute. However you will need to adjust the transformer settings, because by default it will do a 2D calculation.

Badge

I tried a run with a length_calculator add and still didn't work. I even tried to run a conversion with the only transformers being a length_calculator and it still gave me 0's for pipes that run vertically, pipes that run horizontally come through fine. Attached is a screenshot of my work space without a length calculator. It my be doing something wrong when I add the Length Calculator. I am new to FME. Also note in the Parameters annotation box Z has been off set for each drawing. I dont know if this could be a problem. Workspace.PNG

Badge +3

I tried a run with a length_calculator add and still didn't work. I even tried to run a conversion with the only transformers being a length_calculator and it still gave me 0's for pipes that run vertically, pipes that run horizontally come through fine. Attached is a screenshot of my work space without a length calculator. It my be doing something wrong when I add the Length Calculator. I am new to FME. Also note in the Parameters annotation box Z has been off set for each drawing. I dont know if this could be a problem. Workspace.PNG

I don't see a LengthCalculator in the screendump. If it doesn't work, I would first check whether your lines are truly 3d.

Also you'll need to remember that the SHAPE_Length attribute won't change andere that you'll need a second attribute tot store the 3D length in.

Otherwise I would suggest tot share a sample of your dataset.

Badge

FileGDB doesn't know its way with vertical lines. The SHAPE_Lentgh attributen is calculated in 2D. Thuis vertical lines won't receive a balie.

As @fkemminje proposes, you van use a LengthCalculator transformer to calculate the 3D length in a separate attribute. However you will need to adjust the transformer settings, because by default it will do a 2D calculation.

After looking at the help window for length_calculator, it says change Length Dimension to 3. This solved it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction @lars_de_vries