Question

translating SW 2d polygons with holes successfully to another format - e.g. shape file

• 14 June 2013
  • 2 replies

Badge
Hi there,

I've got Smallworld polygons, some of which have holes, that I'm trying to translate into another format - ffs or shape file format.  With the writer set as FFS, the polygons with holes get translated as lines (with some extra lines added) while the ones without holes got translated as polygons.  I read that shape files support polygons with donut holes, so I then tried Shape file as the writer, but it completely failed to translate the polygons with holes.  When trying writing to Shape file, I tried with the "Allowed Geometries" set to shape_polygonm and subsequently set to shape_polygon but neither translated the polygons with holes.  

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Hi Angela,

> the polygons with holes get translated as lines (with some extra lines added)   Are the extra lines something like bridges connecting exterior line and interior lines (holes) of the original donuts, and had a donut been translated to a line which joined exterior line, bridge and interior lines? If so,  before writing features into the shape file, try using the GeometryCoercer to change the geometry type to fme_polygon and then using the GeometryValidator (check 'Self-Intersections in 2D') to repair geometries into donuts.

Takashi
Badge
Thanks Takashi.  

Angela