Question

FTPCaller fails to navigate above home folder

• 26 October 2018
  • 6 replies

Sorry if this is a duplicate of https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/34998/ftpcaller-download-file-higher-level-direcotory.html, but that's an old question and the answer didn't work for the original poster and I'm having the same problem.

I'm trying to use FTPCaller to grab files from a subfolder of a server. The home folder of my user is a different subfolder so I need to go up a level to get to where I want to go.

Server address: ftp://ftp.os.uk

/

--from-os (where I need to be)

--to-os (home folder)

I've tried ftp://ftp.os.uk/../from-os/ and this works fine in FileZilla but I get an Access Denied error in FME. ftp://ftp.os.uk/ successfully lists contents of the to-os folder and I have tried creating a subfolder and ftp://ftp.os.uk/Test successfully connects to to-os/Test, but nothing I've tried will get me back to the root level.

Access denied is a red herring as I have permissions for the root folder, can do it fine in FileZilla and I still get access denied if I put a path in that doesn't exist.

If anybody has suggestions of what I might be doing wrong I'd be very grateful, otherwise I think this must be a bug in FTPCaller.

Thanks

Tom

6 replies

Badge +7
Hi @tom_colley,

A quick test on our internal ftp site makes me think that changing directory up a level might not be possible on the FTPCaller. A bit more investigation is needed to confirm whether this is expected or not.

Thanks,

Nathan
Badge +2

I've tested this on our ftp site that requires credentials and it seems to work OK.

sftp://ftp.safe.com/srv/ftp/outgoing/../incoming/myfile.zip

and then used the authentication parameter - Authentication Type: Password.

It also worked with including the authentication in the ftp URL:

sftp://<user>:<pdw>@ftp.safe.com/srv/ftp/outgoing/../incoming/myfile.zip

In filezilla you can right-click on a file and then copy the "URL to clip board" and authentication and copy that directly into the FTPCaller. This seems like a good starting point for building the URL in FTPCaller.

I've tested this on our ftp site that requires credentials and it seems to work OK.

sftp://ftp.safe.com/srv/ftp/outgoing/../incoming/myfile.zip

and then used the authentication parameter - Authentication Type: Password.

It also worked with including the authentication in the ftp URL:

sftp://<user>:<pdw>@ftp.safe.com/srv/ftp/outgoing/../incoming/myfile.zip

In filezilla you can right-click on a file and then copy the "URL to clip board" and authentication and copy that directly into the FTPCaller. This seems like a good starting point for building the URL in FTPCaller.

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for your response. I've tried copying the URL from Filezilla without success. It copies ftp.os.uk/from-os, rather than the URL relative to the default directory it takes me into which I think should be ftp.os.uk/../from-os (this works to take me directly into from-os in Filezilla).

I've tried to replicate locally with FileZilla Server but can't seem to set default directory to be a subdir of a shared dir.

The difference in your example seems to be that you're manually going into outgoing then coming back up to go into incoming rather than being forced into outgoing and then trying to step up.

I'd be happy to share credentials for the problem server if you'd be able to have a look, just let me know how to send them.

Thanks again

Tom

Hi @tom_colley,

A quick test on our internal ftp site makes me think that changing directory up a level might not be possible on the FTPCaller. A bit more investigation is needed to confirm whether this is expected or not.

Thanks,

Nathan
Thanks very much for looking into this. If you'd like details of the server I'm having trouble with, please let me know.

Hi Mark,

Thanks very much for your response. I've tried copying the URL from Filezilla without success. It copies ftp.os.uk/from-os, rather than the URL relative to the default directory it takes me into which I think should be ftp.os.uk/../from-os (this works to take me directly into from-os in Filezilla).

I've tried to replicate locally with FileZilla Server but can't seem to set default directory to be a subdir of a shared dir.

The difference in your example seems to be that you're manually going into outgoing then coming back up to go into incoming rather than being forced into outgoing and then trying to step up.

I'd be happy to share credentials for the problem server if you'd be able to have a look, just let me know how to send them.

Thanks again

Tom

Tom,

Did you ever find a solution? I have an ftp site that is exhibiting the same behavior.

Badge

@tom_colley you need to write te URL like this: ftp://ftp.os.uk//to-os/../from-os/ . I've tested in FME 2016.1 and it worked (in my case I needed to download a file, so my URL was:

ftp://geosde1prd//produtos/geo_dpso/../../arquivostexto/extracao_dados/CONSIST_201812_ATRIBUTO_FAMILIA_ESTRUT_DIS.TXT.gz

/produtos/geo_dpso (home folder)

/arquivostexto/extracao_dados (the folder where the desired file is)