Solved

Inserting a filled database table into a template table

• 24 February 2020
  • 6 replies
  • 1 view

Hello community, I'm quite new to fme and I've been stumbling on something that might be easier than i think. Basically i have a filled access database table and I'm trying to fit these filled records into a template table. This template has less column headers/attribute names than the source. I'm trying to get the values that do no longer have a place to be put into a string. I have managed that, however I'm trying to have this long string be readable by having the attribute value be preceeded by the attribute name. I'll give an example below: (sorry I'm currently only on mobile so writing it out is a bit harder)

Old

Fruits vegetables grains soup

Apple cauliflower bread tomatosoup

New:

Fruits vegetables other

Apple cauliflower grains: bread, soup: tomatosoup

This is just an example. The real table has like 52 fields per records that has to fit into 30. I hope anyone can help me out.

icon

Best answer by takashi 24 February 2020, 11:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @senteria, If you know which attributes should be integrated into the "other" field, you can just create desired value with AttributeManager (or AttributeCreator or StringConcatenator), as in:

Hi @senteria, If you know which attributes should be integrated into the "other" field, you can just create desired value with AttributeManager (or AttributeCreator or StringConcatenator), as in:

Thank you so much, Takashi! The answer was in front of me all along but i have been staring myself blindly. I was using a schema reader and had split the attribute names from the source table with a feature merger. I was trying to automate it by having it read the structure and automatically combine the attribute names that do not match the schema be put into a new attribute. Thanks again for the solution. I am not sure what i was attempting is even possible.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @senteria, If you know which attributes should be integrated into the "other" field, you can just create desired value with AttributeManager (or AttributeCreator or StringConcatenator), as in:

0684Q00000ArLJAQA3.png

You can use the Schema Reader to read schema from the source table and the template table, create a list attribute (e.g. "_other{}.name") containing attribute names that should be aggregated into the "other" attribute, and then merge the list to every data feature unconditionally, with this workflow for example.

0684Q00000ArMkjQAF.png

After that, however, I think you will have to write a script (Python, Tcl or so) to create the "other" attribute.

PythonCaller Script Example:

def aggregateOthers(feature):
    items = []
    attrs = feature.getAttribute('_other{}.name')
    for attr in attrs:
        value = feature.getAttribute(attr)
        items.append('%s:%s' % (attr, value))
    feature.setAttribute('other', ', '.join(items))

You can use the Schema Reader to read schema from the source table and the template table, create a list attribute (e.g. "_other{}.name") containing attribute names that should be aggregated into the "other" attribute, and then merge the list to every data feature unconditionally, with this workflow for example.

0684Q00000ArMkjQAF.png

After that, however, I think you will have to write a script (Python, Tcl or so) to create the "other" attribute.

PythonCaller Script Example:

items = []
    for attr in attrs:

Thank you so much Takashi, this works precisely as I hoped for! Do you per chance know how I can make it so the 'other' attribute string only contains attributes that are filled and not empty? i.e. In case 'grains' has no value, I would like it to be left out in the string. I think the solution for this lies in the python script where it needs a clause line. Unfortunately I have yet to learn python scripting. I suppose it's something along the lines of 'if attribute value has a value' -> combine.
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @senteria, If you know which attributes should be integrated into the "other" field, you can just create desired value with AttributeManager (or AttributeCreator or StringConcatenator), as in:

0684Q00000ArLJAQA3.png

This script combines "other" attributes except null, missing, empty, and numeric 0. If it's sure that every attribute never stores numeric 0, this script would be enough.

items = []
    for attr in attrs:
        if value:

However, if the attribute might contain numeric 0, a bit more strict conditional expression would be required, like this.

items = []
    for attr in attrs:
        if value != None and value != '':

This script combines "other" attributes except null, missing, empty, and numeric 0. If it's sure that every attribute never stores numeric 0, this script would be enough.

items = []
    for attr in attrs:
        if value:

However, if the attribute might contain numeric 0, a bit more strict conditional expression would be required, like this.

items = []
    for attr in attrs:
        if value != None and value != '':

This is perfect and precisely what I was looking for. Thank you very much for your time and help. Greatly appreciated.