Question

How to Convert Excel Address Data to a Shapefile WITHOUT Lat/Long?

• 15 April 2015
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I am still learning, so I keep asking questions.  Hopefully, I can start to get a hang of this soon.

I have a spreadsheet that contains 3000 addresses.  I would just like to add these addresses as points to our GIS (as a shapefile).  I would like to use FME for this task, but I do not know where to begin.

The main factor about my data is that it does not contain any lat/long (x/y) attributes.  It simply has, for example, 123 Main Street New York, New York.

If you could, please let me know where to begin or if it is even possible to do this with FME.  I believe it is, so I hope you guys can help!

Thank you! 

4 replies

Badge +2
Could you please explain, which the attribute you have in both GIS and spreasheet as common or same...
Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

Have a look at the geocoding transformers, just start typing 'geoc' on the canvas to get a list of possible transformers.

Some will require additional passwords and username (ArcGISOnlineGeocoder and GeonamesGeocoder) and some wont.

Another option would be to use an available geocoding service, how to approach it in FME depend on the service, I would suggest checking the documentation.

Hope this helps,

Itay
Badge +3
Yes if u do not have spatiallocation, you must geocode it.

Hello Pratap,

I have the same attributes for the house number, street name, and type.  What I mean is I have the entire address "123 Main Street" as an attribute, "123" as an attribute, "Main" as an attribute, and "Street" as an attribute.

Within my Excel, I have the  entire "123 Main Street", but I can separate it out if needed. 

ETLS-Italy and Gio,

I will look into this right now.  Thank you for your suggestions!