Question

Flatten part of a mesh

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi All,

I'm wondering if there is an efficient way to flatten part of a mesh. I have a large mesh and in part of the mesh I simply want to set the z value to say 0.

I don't want to recalculate the triangles, just offset the effected vertices. The only way I can see to do this is to break the mesh down into it's vertices which seems super inefficient.

open to any ideas

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Like the SurfaceFootprintReplacer?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Like the SurfaceFootprintReplacer?

Hmm, not quite what I need, I don't think it works for what I want. More similar to the SurfaceDraper, where the surface is just a polygon at a certain height. I tried the SurfaceDraper but it never really worked in the way that I expected it to. In my case the Mesh (which I want to drape) is much larger than then polygon which I'm draping it over. It's almost like I want the opposite of the SurfaceDraper - More like a SurafceExtruder. Ahh well. I manage to get the result I wanted but it just took a long time.

Thanks for the suggestion @nielsgerrits!
Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hmm, not quite what I need, I don't think it works for what I want. More similar to the SurfaceDraper, where the surface is just a polygon at a certain height. I tried the SurfaceDraper but it never really worked in the way that I expected it to. In my case the Mesh (which I want to drape) is much larger than then polygon which I'm draping it over. It's almost like I want the opposite of the SurfaceDraper - More like a SurafceExtruder. Ahh well. I manage to get the result I wanted but it just took a long time.

Thanks for the suggestion @nielsgerrits!

Hi @virtualcitymatt,

If you don't mind dipping into the Python API, you can use the FMEMesh methods to extract and modify the mesh vertex elevations. A little more complex, but likely quite a bit faster.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Hi @virtualcitymatt,

If you don't mind dipping into the Python API, you can use the FMEMesh methods to extract and modify the mesh vertex elevations. A little more complex, but likely quite a bit faster.

Thanks for the tip Dave. I will investigate this as an option. Want to practice my python anyway :D