Solved

converting graphic cell to point shape file directly using fme

Hi, I have a design file with all cells as graphic cell. I want to convert them in to point shape file as point. but after converting them to shape it comes in polygon. Is there any way to convert these graphic cell to point shape file directly with converting them to point cell. Does any one have microstation macros to convert graphic cell to point cell or any other procedure. thanks

icon

Best answer by fmelizard 1 July 2016, 20:57

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +16

Could you use the FME transformer CenterPointReplacer to replace the polygon wit its center point?

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Suggest you exam your settings for the Design File reader. There is an option to NOT explode cells. And in that case, the cell should come through as only a point features, ready to go to Shape without incident. You can test this by looking at the file in the data inspector, with various settings for the Expand cells options and then examine what is coming through. Good luck..and if this doesn't pan out, please send us a reproduction package to support@safe.com

Badge

Hi @daleatsafe , I have the same problem, but it's not clear to me how I am supposed to set my parameters from your explanation. Am I supposed to check "Preserve Named Cell Insert Points". Because I did, and I also checked "Preserve Unnamed Cell Insert Points", and it still didn't turn the DGN point cells into a shape point. I had the geometry in my writer set to both shape_first_feature and shape_point.

I've also left preserve (un)named cells unchecked, and that also didn't do the trick. Help!

And no, unfortunately I can't provide a datasample.

Badge

Hi @daleatsafe , I have the same problem, but it's not clear to me how I am supposed to set my parameters from your explanation. Am I supposed to check "Preserve Named Cell Insert Points". Because I did, and I also checked "Preserve Unnamed Cell Insert Points", and it still didn't turn the DGN point cells into a shape point. I had the geometry in my writer set to both shape_first_feature and shape_point.

I've also left preserve (un)named cells unchecked, and that also didn't do the trick. Help!

And no, unfortunately I can't provide a datasample.

Hi @fmenco

you don't need to check Preserve Named Cell Insert Points: if you do not expand named cells (keep Expand Named Cells unchecked) as @daleatsafe suggested, the Preserve... Insert Points will be disabled and the cells will be read as their insert points.

Badge

@chowdharysachin, @fmenco

please take a look at the attached video that shows how to add DGN Reader without expanding the named cells:

I am also attaching a workspace with sample source dgn-file for you to test.dgnv82esrishape.fmwcelldatasample.dgn

Badge
Hi @fmenco

you don't need to check Preserve Named Cell Insert Points: if you do not expand named cells (keep Expand Named Cells unchecked) as @daleatsafe suggested, the Preserve... Insert Points will be disabled and the cells will be read as their insert points.

I tried that and it didn't read the features at all. At least when I check Preserve Named Cell insert Points, it would transform the features into tiny Polygons.

Right now, my workbench looks like @danilo_inovacao workbench in this link https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/55009/mslinks-in-dng-file-and-fme-conversion-to-shape.html?childToView=55182#comment-55182

Does it not work because I added the attribute manager transformer and have to speficy the "copy from reader" in my writer?

Badge
I tried that and it didn't read the features at all. At least when I check Preserve Named Cell insert Points, it would transform the features into tiny Polygons.

Right now, my workbench looks like @danilo_inovacao workbench in this link https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/55009/mslinks-in-dng-file-and-fme-conversion-to-shape.html?childToView=55182#comment-55182

Does it not work because I added the attribute manager transformer and have to speficy the "copy from reader" in my writer?

One idea that might be very wrong though: what is the Geometry on your destination feature type (Shape-file)? Is it shape_first_feature or shape_point? If not, all point features will be dropped by the Writer.

Another detail to pay attention to: what level do you expect the insert points to be read from? If you deal with Graphic cells, their insert points will be located on Default level in DGN.

Badge

Neither AttributeManager nor 'copy from Reader' (except if this sets wrong shape geometry) is causing the problem here. It should be something else.