Question

Photogrammetry Point cloud Noise removal

• 30 January 2017
  • 2 replies

I have a point cloud of a surface which has been derived from pix4d photgrammetry software. There is a large amount of noise and outlying points generated, which when triangulating a surface creates a bumpy surface. These point clouds are for relatively flat ground surfaces. Unfortunately pix4d does not have an easy solution to remove of such outlying points

To help smooth the point cloud and the resultant end data, is there a way to filter the point cloud to remove these outliers if i know the maximum slope of the surface? Or if this is not possible that the elevation difference between points is too large? Thanks.

2 replies

Badge +16

Hi @mickman,

I would look into the brand new 2017RC PointCloudSurfaceBuilder which seems to provide some options on how to generate the surface, but since this so new it stil lacks documentation....

Another option would be to use test the individual z value of each point and remove the outllayers, but this can be quite a 'heavy' action...

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @mickman, perhaps the coordinate swapping technique described in this article could be applied to your case.

Point Clouds and 3D Clipping - Noise Filtering