Question

How can I convert a GeoTIFF file into CADRG file?

• 19 June 2017
  • 6 replies

I am new to FME and I am trying to convert a GeoTIFF file into CADRG file. But unfortunately I am getting unwanted results. The resulting CADRG file just looks like a blank black colour raster file i.e., I suspect there is some error either in the GeoTIFF reader or transforming process or CADRG writer. Please give some insights on how can I overcome this issue?

6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Some quick hints to debug (any scenario, not just this):

1) Open the source data in the FME Data Inspector. If it looks incorrect there, then the reader is at fault. If it looks OK then...

2) Run the translation with Redirect to Inspector turned on. If it looks incorrect there, then the transformation is at fault. If it looks OK then...

3) Open the output data in the FME Data Inspector. If it looks incorrect there, then the writer is at fault.

Badge +22

Some quick hints to debug (any scenario, not just this):

1) Open the source data in the FME Data Inspector. If it looks incorrect there, then the reader is at fault. If it looks OK then...

2) Run the translation with Redirect to Inspector turned on. If it looks incorrect there, then the transformation is at fault. If it looks OK then...

3) Open the output data in the FME Data Inspector. If it looks incorrect there, then the writer is at fault.

I can confirm that a standard 8-bit geotiff will produce a black output using the CADRG writer and default parameters.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
I can confirm that a standard 8-bit geotiff will produce a black output using the CADRG writer and default parameters.

Interesting... I just tried and it worked fine! There are large black borders around the data, but I assume (not knowing the format) that cadrg has fixed tile sizes and that is just areas of nodata.

I do notice that the data was reprojected to LL84. Did your source data have a coordinate system set? If not, that might be an issue. Also, what's the resolution of the output? I wonder if it got squished down to one single nodata cell, or if it's the same resolution as before, but now everything is nodata?

Badge +22
Interesting... I just tried and it worked fine! There are large black borders around the data, but I assume (not knowing the format) that cadrg has fixed tile sizes and that is just areas of nodata.

I do notice that the data was reprojected to LL84. Did your source data have a coordinate system set? If not, that might be an issue. Also, what's the resolution of the output? I wonder if it got squished down to one single nodata cell, or if it's the same resolution as before, but now everything is nodata?

CADRG had fixed size "frames" and specific resolutions.

I'm using build 17259.

The issue seems to be in generating the palette, where all entries but 1 are set to 0,0,0.

CADRG had fixed size "frames" and specific resolutions.

I'm using build 17259.

The issue seems to be in generating the palette, where all entries but 1 are set to 0,0,0.

yes. I am also facing the same issue.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
yes. I am also facing the same issue.

Can you or @jdh post one of your source files here? Or email it to me (mark.ireland at safe)? That way I can check into it more. I'm guessing there must be something different in the GeoTIFF I'm using compared to yours. I think that's part of the key to unlocking this issue.