Question

Outputting individual Excel row and jpg image to an individual PDF report

Badge

Hi All,

I have an xls spreadsheet, lots of rows, each row is an individual record with various data in each column.

I also have a folder of jpgs, each jpg named to match 1 value in a column.

I am looking to produce a single pdf for each xls row and its associated photo.

I am still learning my way around FME but I've tried an Excel Reader and Jpeg Reader joined by jpg filename/column attribute, then put into PDFPageformatter then fanned out by joined attribute but for the life of me I can't work out why the xls does not show on the PDF, just blank. Photo will show though.

Am I missing a step? Would really appreciate any advice?

Many thanks in advance,

Amgaad

15 replies

Badge +16

Hi @amgaad, have a look at the PDFStyler transformer and possibly aggregating the xls data into one feature per column before writing to PDF.

Hope this helps.

Badge

Hi @amgaad, have a look at the PDFStyler transformer and possibly aggregating the xls data into one feature per column before writing to PDF.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot @itay will take a look!
Badge +2

This article is a good starting point for creating PDF output. Not quite what you're trying to accomplish, but it should illustrate all the pieces you need.

Badge

This article is a good starting point for creating PDF output. Not quite what you're trying to accomplish, but it should illustrate all the pieces you need.

Thanks a lot @MarkAtSafe

Badge

@MarkAtSafe @itay - I have managed to create a simple workspace that will create 3 separate pdfs based on 3 jpegs and 3 xls rows. However when I try to add a border (as explained in the other guides) it goes wrong. I can do 3 pdfs with a border or 3 pdfs with the relevant image but I just cant get the border to show correctly at the same time. The jpeg appears ok but the border appears as a tiny square in the top 3rd of the pdf. Would you have any thoughts what I might be doing wrong? Many thanks!

Badge +16

@MarkAtSafe @itay - I have managed to create a simple workspace that will create 3 separate pdfs based on 3 jpegs and 3 xls rows. However when I try to add a border (as explained in the other guides) it goes wrong. I can do 3 pdfs with a border or 3 pdfs with the relevant image but I just cant get the border to show correctly at the same time. The jpeg appears ok but the border appears as a tiny square in the top 3rd of the pdf. Would you have any thoughts what I might be doing wrong? Many thanks!

Hi @amgaad

If I understand you correctly you are getting only 1 border feature, while there should be 3.

If you dont need the border as a separate layer in your output, you can rasterize it into the jpeg with the MapnikRasterizer.

This hould be done for each jpeg you are sending to the output.

hope this helps
Badge
Hi @amgaad

If I understand you correctly you are getting only 1 border feature, while there should be 3.

If you dont need the border as a separate layer in your output, you can rasterize it into the jpeg with the MapnikRasterizer.

This hould be done for each jpeg you are sending to the output.

hope this helps
@itay thanks a lot for your reply! apologies I worded it badly. I'm actually after a border around the whole A4, with the jpg set smaller inside (controlled by the pdfpageformatter). If I don't aggregate the jpeg, and show just border, it fits perfectly (2nd image). But if I also try to show the jpegs too the border suddenly become really small (1st image).

capture2.jpg

Badge +3

Counter on your fotos

Boundingboxreplacer to create bound. Place as separate layer in pdfformatter.

set pdf_page_number = count.

Will be variable size of course.

For fixed border on A4 pdf

pdf-picture-per-page-writer-with-border.png

see pic

Badge +3

Of course I can just upload the fmw...

pdf-border-to-fotos.fmw

Badge +3

For single pdf per photo, don't use the page number in the attribute creator, leave it to pdf_page_number =1

Badge

For single pdf per photo, don't use the page number in the attribute creator, leave it to pdf_page_number =1

@gio

thanks a lot for taking the time to reply gio. I was looking into a long winded way of possibly using mapnik rasterizer to create one raster with all the borders and jpeg combined. But will give your solution a go!!!
Badge

Of course I can just upload the fmw...

pdf-border-to-fotos.fmw

@gio Really appreciate you putting the workspace on. Unfortunately I get an error when I try and download. Many thanks
Badge +16
@itay thanks a lot for your reply! apologies I worded it badly. I'm actually after a border around the whole A4, with the jpg set smaller inside (controlled by the pdfpageformatter). If I don't aggregate the jpeg, and show just border, it fits perfectly (2nd image). But if I also try to show the jpegs too the border suddenly become really small (1st image).

capture2.jpg

Hi @amgaad

The link provided by Mark shows how a pdf can be created using multiple layers, you can download the FME template (fmwt at the bottom) and edit it to your needs.

A modification when working with rasters (images) you can better use the fme_basename for fan out and not the fme_feature_type

Hope this helps.

Badge +3

@amgaad

Hi

I made some correction to the affiner and scaler to get picture to fill page.

I'll try publish workspace again.

If upload don't work, i'll include pic of workspace.

Badge

@amgaad

Hi

I made some correction to the affiner and scaler to get picture to fill page.

I'll try publish workspace again.

If upload don't work, i'll include pic of workspace.

Thanks a lot @gio and all. Thanks a lot for you workflow. I used your work flow, with the PDFpageformatter controlling the photo to appear in 1 quarter of the A4. I then featuremerged (value of 1, created by AttributeCreator) the xls data to various Creators (A4 border and other smaller borders too on the PDF) so every xls row has a border. For the xls I've used the PDFstyler and TextAdder to show the individual row data. On the jpeg workflow I added one extra attribute, fme_basename but renamed the attribute to match xls column that contains the photo name. I then fanned out the pdf writer by the xls column. So from the original xls and jpegs I now have a separate pdf for each row with its associated data and photo.