Question

Updated workflow using FME to condition polygons to CSV for Tableau?

Basically converting an ESRI polygon Shapefile or FeatureClass from spatial to non-spatial in a format ready for Tableau (i.e tabular like excel or CSV). Have researched and tested some possibilities but would think there are some quick start workspaces available from Tableau and FME users.

Have some ideas that successfully converted polygon vertices to points (helpful VertexCounter)

Other transformers helpful are DonutHoldExtractor, 2DForcer, Counter, Generalizer?, CoordinateExtractor - just hoping something already exists.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @geobaehr, there are some transformers which can be used to extract vertex points or their coordinates values from a polygon, other than you have listed. e.g. Chopper (Mode: By Vertex, Maximum Vertices: 1), CoordinateConcatenator, GeometryExtractor. You can choose the most appropriate one(s) depending on the required destination table structure.

Badge +2

Hi @geobaehr,

I'm not clear on the question.

You have specified as polygon vertices to points but CSV format does not handle spatial data i.e. points. So what information do you want to translate in CSV from ESRI polygon shape file? is it X & Y co-ordinates of each vertex of polygon or attribute information of each polygon?

Pratap

Badge +3

all spatial data is strings anyway, its about the formatting.

GeometryExtractor to WKT ( it is a well known tekst after all..)

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

If you can use FME 2016.1 beta (which will be released in a couple weeks but is available now) it has a Tableau TDE writer that just does this for you drag'n drop. It will do what you want -- see the draft documentation online for details. @geobaehr

If you have to use older FMEs, then this older presentation on slideshare should give some hints too. Note that the "chopper" is one of the key ingredients.