Question

FME ArcGIS connectivity

• 12 February 2014
  • 2 replies
  • 1 view

Badge +8

Hi! After upgrading to FME 2014 (build 14230) the drag-and-drop feature from ArcGIS desktop has ceased functioning. I'd like other users to confirm this. I spoke today with FME support in Sweden who acknowledged the error.

Previously, it was possible to drag an ArcGIS Desktop layer from the AG TOC into the FME main window. This was tremendously useful, particularly when reading sde data, because the entire database connection was included in the drop. You can still setup an sde reader, but will have to enter server name, user credentials and so on.

Was this a deliberate decision, or some syntax change on either side thas has stopped the drag-and-drop functionality? 

Or maybe the new workbench GUI library? (this is a 32bit environment).

I have an FME 2013 sp4 in parallell, and the drag-and-drop works there

2 replies

Badge +2
I can still see the drag'n'drop capability from Windows Explorer to FME 2014 B14230 32-bit. Are you saying that if you try to drag a text file or some other file from desktop into a newly opened FME 2014 that nothing happens?

I'd recommend isolating whether it is simply from ArcGIS or whether its any file from any where. If you're unable to drag a file from your desktop into a fresh FME 2014 then it may be an environmental issue as I can do such from here with the same version as you.

Regarding recreation of service name and such, are you aware that you can save alot of these configurations via the Defaults button? This could save you a bit of time and frustration unless you're utilising a variety of connection details.

Badge +8

Hi Kathy!

To clarify: I am referring to the previous ability to drag and drop a LAYER from the ArcGIS Desktop TABLE OF CONTENTS (the 'legend' window) into the FME Workbench Main Window.

Dragging known file types from Explorer still works as expected.

Dragging a LAYER brought all the sde connection parameters, for instance, and thus was immensely useful. Very sad to see it go. Safe Software has degraded the worlds best GUI.

Thanks for the tip on default values, but I work against half a dozen sde data bases with hundreds of tables. I would need a number of default values which kind of defies the definition.