Question

Link ESRI geodatabase to a ‘.mdb’ database

• 21 January 2020
  • 1 reply

I am working on a project where I have to create maps. I have a file gdb and a personal database .mdb. Everytime I have to create a map I have to join them. Is there any way that the .mdb file can be just linked to the .gdb file so I dont have to do the join operation? Is there a way where the attributes that are stored in the .mdb file are just incorporated in the file geodatabase without doing the join operation?

I further intend to convert the file geodatabase to a shape file, such that each feature layer has its own attribute table.

Any help willl be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

@takashi @david_r @redgeographics

1 reply

Userlevel 4

If the data doesn't change between each time you generate a map, you could perhaps pre-process your data by merging the data once and then writing the merged data to a new .gdb.

Depending on the software you use to create the maps, you could also write all the data to a "real" database such as PostGIS and index the merge fields. You can then use SQL joins (e.g. using the SQLExecutor) to do the joins in the database rather than in FME, it should be much quicker.