Solved

Inspector: Failed to create the reader in the worker process for 2D rendering

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

A colleague recently installed Desktop 2018.0 and later on 2018.1. Workspace seems to run correctly but when the inspector pops up it logs the following error:

Failed to create the reader in the worker process for 2D rendering 
We can see the tabular data but the geometry won't show up.  He does have a 2017 version of desktop installed, this installation seems unaffected by this problem. Any ideas where to look / what to do with these symptoms / logs?
icon

Best answer by nielsgerrits 14 September 2018, 13:54

View original

49 replies

Badge +7
Hi @nielsgerrits, sorry to hear you're encountering this problem. Is this occurring with the latest release of FME 2018.1?

Are you able to provide a snippet of the error from the Data Inspector log and a sample file? I'd be interesting in trying to reproduce this.

Thanks,

Nathan

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
Hi @nielsgerrits, sorry to hear you're encountering this problem. Is this occurring with the latest release of FME 2018.1?

Are you able to provide a snippet of the error from the Data Inspector log and a sample file? I'd be interesting in trying to reproduce this.

Thanks,

Nathan

Hey @NathanAtSafe, I could send sampledata but even a Creator creating one point at 0,0 connected to an Inspector causes this error.

FME Desktop version is 2018.1.0.1 build 18528 64 bit

Log as attachment. log.txt
Badge +7
Hey @NathanAtSafe, I could send sampledata but even a Creator creating one point at 0,0 connected to an Inspector causes this error.

FME Desktop version is 2018.1.0.1 build 18528 64 bit

Log as attachment. log.txt
Thanks @nielsgerrits

Looking into this. Currently unable to reproduce, however.

Nathan
Badge +7
Thanks @nielsgerrits

Nathan
@nielsgerrits Do you find the same behaviour if you launch Data Inspector by clicking the magnifying glass in Workbench to inspect cached features (Feature Caching `on`)? Do you notice this in the 32-bit version of FME? Since we're unable to reproduce so far, I'm wondering if you would run the system information program here and report the results by opening a case.

Best,

Nathan

Badge

Hi, I have been experiencing the same problem, also using 2018.1. It happens regardless of the input file. Is there anything I can do to fix it? @NathanAtSafe

Thanks,

Dragana

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Hi, I have been experiencing the same problem, also using 2018.1. It happens regardless of the input file. Is there anything I can do to fix it? @NathanAtSafe

Thanks,

Dragana

Heya @draganasubotic1 I suspect that my colleague re-used previous installation folders. Can that be your problem as well? We planned to uninstall, clean up and reinstall 2018.1 next friday. Will let know if this is the problem.
Badge

Thanks,

Dragana

Hi @nielsgerrits I tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the software, even downloaded the installation file again, but the same issue appears.. I have no idea what could be the problem, at first when I updated to 2018.1 there were no problems, and then out of nowhere this starts..

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
Hi @nielsgerrits I tried uninstalling, and reinstalling the software, even downloaded the installation file again, but the same issue appears.. I have no idea what could be the problem, at first when I updated to 2018.1 there were no problems, and then out of nowhere this starts..

Did you use a clean installationfolder? New location?
Badge
Did you use a clean installationfolder? New location?
@nielsgerrits Yes I deleted the old folder before installing, if that is what you mean?

Userlevel 4
Badge +26
@nielsgerrits Yes I deleted the old folder before installing, if that is what you mean?

I think this is what you might need to do: https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/962/re-installing-fme-if-there-is-a-problem-with-the-i.html

Badge
Ok thanks, will try it like that as well!

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
Thanks @nielsgerrits

Nathan
@NathanAtSafe Just uninstalled all FME versions, deleted all FME installationfolders, removed the registery entry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Safe Software Inc., booted, installed 2018.1.0.1 again and same problem appears. Not so sure what to do now... returning to 2017.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
Thanks @nielsgerrits

Nathan
@NathanAtSafe Interesting: When starting the inspector without background maps, and switching it to Stamen Maps - terrain it draws my point! But defaulting this setting is not working, so it works only once...
Badge
@NathanAtSafe Interesting: When starting the inspector without background maps, and switching it to Stamen Maps - terrain it draws my point! But defaulting this setting is not working, so it works only once...
@nielsgerrits Hi, I tried the same and same thing happens for me. If I switch from no map to a Stamen map, it draws my points, but without the background map, showing error: Failed to load the background map due to an error in reading the zoom levels

Badge

Does anyone have any other suggestions to solve this problem? The reinstall does not help unfortunately.

Thanks.
Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Does anyone have any other suggestions to solve this problem? The reinstall does not help unfortunately.

Thanks.
Sorry @draganasubotic1,

I'd suggest getting in touch with Safe Support (safe.com/support). Include the build number(s) where your seeing the problem, any logs and a sample of the data which causes issues with you. Also provide some details about the environment on which FME is running (32/64 bit, Operating system, VM type, etc)

Badge +7
Sorry @draganasubotic1,

I'd suggest getting in touch with Safe Support (safe.com/support). Include the build number(s) where your seeing the problem, any logs and a sample of the data which causes issues with you. Also provide some details about the environment on which FME is running (32/64 bit, Operating system, VM type, etc)

Yes I suggest both @draganasubotic1 and @nielsgerrits please open a support ticket (safe.com/support), preferably with a collection of system information gathered from the steps and .bat file outlined here. We're still unable to reproduce the problem but any information pertaining to your specific environments will help us narrow down the issue and hopefully reproduce it.

Thanks.

Nathan

(PS hey @virtualcitymatt!)

Badge

I've got the same problem.

In my case, it was caused by a defunct fmedatainspector.exe (a process running on windows - shown in Task Manager, but with no Window - graphic interface).

I just killed that process and the problem was fixed. A simple system reboot would fix it too.

Badge +1

Hi, I am having the same issue with 2018.1.0.1 (20180730 - Build 18528 - WIN64). The inspector opens but I can only see the attribute table - geometry not displaying. I've tried with the 32 bit version but to no avail. The 32 bit inspector now seems to hang at the splash screen when opening (initialising user interface...). It does open sometimes but results in the same error. I've tried killing all fme processes, restarting Windows - no change. Weirdly it all worked fine until today - now both 64bit and 32bit installs are not working. FME 2017 still works fine, so I'll have to revert back to that version.

I see there is now build: 18547 available but we only just installed FME Server build 18528. I'm wondering whether this has been fixed in 18547?

Badge +1

Hi, I am having the same issue with 2018.1.0.1 (20180730 - Build 18528 - WIN64). The inspector opens but I can only see the attribute table - geometry not displaying. I've tried with the 32 bit version but to no avail. The 32 bit inspector now seems to hang at the splash screen when opening (initialising user interface...). It does open sometimes but results in the same error. I've tried killing all fme processes, restarting Windows - no change. Weirdly it all worked fine until today - now both 64bit and 32bit installs are not working. FME 2017 still works fine, so I'll have to revert back to that version.

I see there is now build: 18547 available but we only just installed FME Server build 18528. I'm wondering whether this has been fixed in 18547?

Just a guess - since it affects both FME 64 and 32 bit installations and both failed at the same time - could it be related to some Windows update?

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

@ekkischeffler see WhatsNew.txt for changes between builds.

Not sure if its Windows update related. My old Lenovo W540 is working well, but some of my colleagues with the newer P50 have problems. Some of them, not all. All in the same company, updates are managed by IT so the environments should be quite equal.

Might have to do something with AutoDesk Civil 3D. A new P50 is coming our way, we will install FME first, then the other components to check when it starts to fail.
Badge +1
@ekkischeffler see WhatsNew.txt for changes between builds.

Not sure if its Windows update related. My old Lenovo W540 is working well, but some of my colleagues with the newer P50 have problems. Some of them, not all. All in the same company, updates are managed by IT so the environments should be quite equal.

Might have to do something with AutoDesk Civil 3D. A new P50 is coming our way, we will install FME first, then the other components to check when it starts to fail.
thanks @nielsgerrits! Keen to hear what your testing outcome is.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32
thanks @nielsgerrits! Keen to hear what your testing outcome is.

@ekkischeffler We got the new laptop yesterday. Sadly we didn't got a clean one: IT installed the AutoDesk software (which I think is a possible cause of the problem). Same result: Most recent 2018 FME Desktop version will not work. Last 2017 FME Desktop version works flawless.
Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Small update: It looks like it is Windows Profile related... When logging on with a fresh user on the defective laptop the problem goes away and the performance is stunning.

Userlevel 6
Badge +32

Small update: It looks like it is Windows Profile related... When logging on with a fresh user on the defective laptop the problem goes away and the performance is stunning.

@NathanAtSafe do you have some pointers how to swipe all Safe Software related data config?