Question

?Comprehensive, centralized way to store published parameter passwords used by multiple workspaces in FME Server?

• 1 February 2017
  • 6 replies

I am running multiple workspaces that have the same published parameters that are passwords. Is there centralized way to store published parameter passwords that are used by multiple workspaces?

I can't find anything in the documentation about how to do this.

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

What kind of passwords are you referring to.

If it is database connections, FME stores these in a connection file outside the FMW file.

They are references by connection name, so the username, password and database name are not stored in the FME file.

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

If it is database connections, FME stores these in a connection file outside the FMW file.

They are references by connection name, so the username, password and database name are not stored in the FME file.

And FME 2017 has the same option for Web service connection information as for database connections.

Badge +16

unfortunately this is not the case for published parameter even password type and they are quite easy to reveal.

There are several ways to accomplish that for example a centralized file containing passwords that is read via a startup python script.

I am sure other users have other ideas and experiences to share.

Hope this helps

I'm referring to passwords that are stored as published job parameters, not database connections. I was aware of the fact that FME stored database connections differently from his article: https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/22574/fmeserverjobsubmitter-logging-password-in-clear-te.html

Basically, I'm looking for a centralized way to pass published job parameter passwords to scheduled jobs on FME server......

My apologies for not being more clear in my question.

unfortunately this is not the case for published parameter even password type and they are quite easy to reveal.

There are several ways to accomplish that for example a centralized file containing passwords that is read via a startup python script.

I am sure other users have other ideas and experiences to share.

Hope this helps

@itay, thanks for this reply!

Yes-You've suggested a decent work around that I hadn't thought of. It would definitely be possible for me to grab passwords from centralized file via a python script. That being said, I wish there was an easier way.... lol.

Userlevel 4
@itay, thanks for this reply!

Yes-You've suggested a decent work around that I hadn't thought of. It would definitely be possible for me to grab passwords from centralized file via a python script. That being said, I wish there was an easier way.... lol.

The easier way is to use the FME Server / Desktop named connection functionality ;-)

It's also a lot more secure.