Question

GML reader and 'cannot convert null string into an integer' error

• 11 June 2020
  • 2 replies

Badge +10

We recently upgraded FME Desktop 2007 to 2020. Now I'm upgrading all of our old workspaces and I've having an issue after upgrading GML reader to the latest version.

GML files are read without any error with the old reader but with the new version I get the following error for every feature in every GML file:

Cannot convert null string into an integer class StatusInfo *__cdecl STF_stringToUInt(const class ObsoleteString &,unsigned long &)(C:\\code\\fme\\foundation\\framework\\util\\stf\\stfutil.cpp:358) - class StatusInfo *__cdecl STF_stringToUInt(const class ObsoleteString &,unsigned long &)(C:\\code\\fme\\foundation\\framework\\util\\stf\\stfutil.cpp:358)

I checked the GML version for all my files in the xsd file and they all say it's GML 3.1.1. Didn't see any limitation on this in the reader's help.

Any idea of what's going on?

Edit: the old GML reader works as expected before saving my workspace with Desktop 2020, but the error is there after saving. So there must be some kind of reader upgrading after saving workspaces I think.

2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

Hi @dms2! I'm sorry that you are experiencing this. Could you share your original FME 2007 workspace along with your source data. I'm wondering if there's a difference in the way the GML Reader or FME is handling the attribute data types and/or null values. Alternatively, you can submit your workspace and data through a support case.

Badge

I am seeing this reading from a Geopackage file

BADNEWS: Cannot convert null string into an integer StatusInfo *STF_stringToUInt(const ObsoleteString &, STK_UInt32 &)(foundation/framework/util/stf/stfutil.cpp:358) - StatusInfo *STF_stringToUInt(const ObsoleteString &, STK_UInt32 &)(foundation/framework/util/stf/stfutil.cpp:358)

As per the OP it is happening in FME2020