Question

ArcGIS Online issue with ArcMap 10.6.1 published services

• 5 October 2018
  • 7 replies

Badge +8

@mmccart and I have noticed that Esri did something to how ArcGIS Desktop 10.6.1 (aka ArcMap) publishes services to ArcGIS Online. We have tested ArcGIS Pro 10.6.1 and ArcMap 10.5 and both are able to be written to with FME 2018.1 (18547). When trying to write to a service published from ArcMap 10.6.1, we get the following error:

ArcGIS Online Feature Service Writer: Could not find a layer/table matching feature type 'LAYER_NAME'

7 replies

Badge +7

Hi @runneals, thanks for your post.

I tested with ArcMap 10.6.1 and was able to publish a feature service to ArcGIS Online and subsequently add a record using FME Desktop 18528 and 19116. Would you be able to include the complete log file from your translation as well as the workspace here?

I wonder if there is a small detail related to authentication, layer names, or something else that's causing FME to fail here. Unfortunately the errors from the ArcGIS Online Writer are not always indicative of the actual problem. For example an authentication error can sometimes result in the "Could not find a layer/table" error.

Feel free to report a problem if your data is sensitive.

Thanks,

Nathan
Badge +8

I tested with ArcMap 10.6.1 and was able to publish a feature service to ArcGIS Online and subsequently add a record using FME Desktop 18528 and 19116. Would you be able to include the complete log file from your translation as well as the workspace here?

I wonder if there is a small detail related to authentication, layer names, or something else that's causing FME to fail here. Unfortunately the errors from the ArcGIS Online Writer are not always indicative of the actual problem. For example an authentication error can sometimes result in the "Could not find a layer/table" error.

Thanks,

Nathan
10-6-1.zip

I created a simple line and tried to write it using the owner of the service and it failed as well.

Badge +7
10-6-1.zip

I created a simple line and tried to write it using the owner of the service and it failed as well.

Hi @runneals,

Thanks for the additional information. The warning that occurs immediately before the error suggests that perhaps INSERT is not allowed on your hosted feature layer. If you check the layer settings in ArcGIS Online, what kind of editing is allowed? For inserts, "Add" should be enabled and the account used in FME should have the appropriate permissions.

Best,

Nathan

Badge

Nathan @ Safe Software or anyone else

Nothing works here as I have all the FS parameters and permissions set correctly and everything working beautifully right up to the Writer Failure because it cannot find the layer that it clearly sees in the Readers

I am using and set up with Iowa DOT servers and all FS and Layers are read easily all data runs beautifully and is Extracted beautifully ......and then cannot write to the FS no matter what is done to point it to the Layer Name that it provides or that I write in .....this is beyond frustrating to not find a solution clearly stated as to what to provide this Layer Name required entry

Badge

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan nathanatsafe I am running into this same issue as stated above (in the Writer Feature Type)

ArcGIS Online Feature Service Writer: Could not find a layer/table matching feature type 'stopsign_testing' or 'HeightRestrictions' or 'RailroadCrossings'

1) All of your remedies and suggestions for EDIT on AGOL for the FS is/are correct

2) I have used my login and also the ADMIN or OTO account (I have both) in the writer and neither affects its ability to run .....I have had this problem previously and it ran correctly for 2 runs and created the FS 's and now is broken although nothing has changed and these FS exist

Changing the writer to UPDATE does nothing (same error)

NO MATTER WHAT Feature Type I put in the writer it fails (I have tried using destination AGOL FS and to use the INPUT FS as type)

I would love to understand what is going on here ....I have spent a week running every possible way I can think of and every run fails ?

What is going on to do you think ......I need to understand this and there is no clear error or identification of this problem and how to fix it ......I have checked and rechecked everything ???

FIXING THIS and Running this with WRITERS all pointed to the correct names etc ....it works only ONCE then it will not be able to find the Layer .....very frustrating in that it works only one time

I have tried UPDATE it cannot find the layer that was just created

I have tried INSERT and it cannot find the layer that it just created
Badge

FIX

Make sure you have not deleted any of the associated GDB's for the existing FS if you are UPDATING or INSERT

This will cause FME to not see the FS

Many AGOL users will clean up their Groups or Content and removing these associated GDBs will cause this error

If this is happening to you DELETE all FS and start the FME process over ....setting the FS to INSERT to create new FS

Badge

SOLVED

This involved removing both readers and writers and then to build a Reader 1st and new Writer 2nd and paying close attention to the method used to create the Writer (automatic manual from data set)

I selected from Data Set and pointed it to the correct Data Set and have it all working now

There were failures at the writer .....but that is a whole nother story about the importance of connecting to the correct license and providing direct path to the license server via Dongle