Question

Using Input is Ordered by Group

• 17 November 2016
  • 5 replies

Badge

I have used tiler to tile a polygon and created a tile ID for each tile feeding the tiles to AreaOnArea. Can I use the Input Is Ordered By Group to start the AreaOnArea on a tile by tile basis?

5 replies

Badge
I should clarify that all polygons go through the tiler and get the TileID and I use Group By on the TileID in the Area On Area. So if using the Input Is Ordered By Group will the Area On Area process all features with a TileID at one time, and work correctly?
Badge +16

are you also using the group by setting? In that case it's important that all features within a group have the same value.

Badge

Yes, in the Area On Area I am using the Group By on TileID (created by combining row and column from the Tiler) and want to confirm that using Ordered By Group won't mess things up in this scenario. The Area On Area Help says "This will improve overall speed if groups are large/complex, but could cause undesired behavior if input groups are not truly ordered."

Badge +16

Yes, in the Area On Area I am using the Group By on TileID (created by combining row and column from the Tiler) and want to confirm that using Ordered By Group won't mess things up in this scenario. The Area On Area Help says "This will improve overall speed if groups are large/complex, but could cause undesired behavior if input groups are not truly ordered."

to make sure that the features enter in the right order add a sorter(s)

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

The "Ordered by Group" parameter is just a performance benefit. If you are unsure about the results, then turn it off and try again to see if it makes a difference. As @itay says, you can sometimes sort the data with a Sorter to get the correct order, but really any benefit you gain by the setting is lost in having to sort the data anyway. It's really best for when the data is ordered already.