Question

Add AutoCAD Blocks to existing CAD-file

• 22 January 2014
  • 2 replies

Badge
Hi everybody,

I have several AutoCAD files (land parcels as polygons) and would like to add information within an AutoCAD block to each polygon. So I created a template file containing the block definition with an additional attribute. Then I created inside points from all my CAD-polygons, use the AttributeCreator to generate the autocad_block_name attribute (same as in template file) and set the block attribute from the template to the attribute containing the information I want to add. I got this workflow from the knowledge base, works nicely.

FME writes the AutoCAD blocks correctly to the destination CAD-file but overwrites all orignal data. So in my destination file there are only the CAD blocks.

Is there a parameter in the workbech that preserves the original data? Maybe I got this whole thing wrong, I am working on CAD data for the very first time and don't have a clue.

P.S. Workking with FME 2013 SP3

Thanks!

Annika

2 replies

Badge
Hi

You can only reference one DWG (the one with the template block). You can choose to add to this DWG or start with an empty version of the this (template) DWG.

If you add the block definition to all the DWG's and then use them as templates, you can keep everything in it, but you have to change the template every time to get through all DWGs.

Or you can do as you described. Then create a script to open the original DWG, insert the "GIS" DWG as a block, explode the block, and save. (Only works if you have AutoCAD.)

/Tim
Badge
Hi Tim,

that worked well, thanks a lot!

Annika