Question

How to convert well directional survey data(Azimuth, Inclination, and Measured Depth) into spatial data

• 16 October 2017
  • 2 replies

2 replies

Attached directionalsurveydata.xlsx contains survey(MD,Incl,Azm) data for one of the sample well that I have exported from WellView.

Badge

Gents, I'm not sure what the correct implementation or transformers are in FME, but the normal approach to this problem would involve starting from a known spatial reference point (e.g. X,Y,Z in a known co-ordinate system) and then applying trig techniques to every known survey change (degrees Incl and Azm) for each increment of MD. Each increment of MD would typically be related to a fixed physical limitation such as the length of a drilling rod.

+(Current-Previous)/2*(COS(IncCur*PI()/180)*COS(AzmCur*PI()/180)+COS(IncPrev*PI()/180)*COS(AzmPrev*PI()/180))+ PreviousSpatialPoint

There have been some previous posts around building lines in true 3D to allow this to be done in FME e.g. https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/46020/create-line-in-z-direction-only-with-line-builder.html

The limitations around this in X,Y only make the workaround a bit cumbersome, so I'm interested also in any solution for this.