Question

Calculating Hours As Percentage Of Day

• 30 January 2020
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

With the help of a number of posts on the forums, I've taken a large dataset and been able to evaluate the total time, within a range of days, pool cars have been used. What I'm now struggling with is to calculate the hours used as a percentage of a "working day"

eg;

Car One used for 04:20:00 hours, what percentage use is this against a working day of 07:00:00?

Do I need to calculate this out in seconds and convert back or is there another way?

Thank you.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +12

I wrote out the calculation for you ( as I could not find a transformer to do so).

Was not too hard.

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 4

Pretty much whatever the solution, it would end up being converted to seconds somewhere along the way.

Try to create a new attribute with the following formula in the arithmetic editor (substituting "usage" and "workday" with your own attribute names of course):

@DateTimeParse("@Value(usage)",%H:%M:%S)*100.0/@DateTimeParse("@Value(workday)",%H:%M:%S)

With your example it returns 60.

@erik_jan & @david_r , thank you both for the replies. I did work through a solution after posting this morning, but will try both your answers. (I'm a complete FME newbie but love what it does).

I'm now looking at taking results from another dataset in order to add them to this data.

I shall post a grab of what I put together.
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I put a solution in the Question of the Week thread.

Basically a DateTimeCalculator should do most of what you need by simply assuming the work day runs on 000000 to 070000: