Question

How to get volumes of cityGML buildings (multisurfaces, ground, wall, roof)?

• 24 November 2016
  • 4 replies

Is there a maximum amount of features while using the VolumeCalculator?

Actually i am trying to get volumes (of buildings) from several cityGMLs (LoD2,multisurfaces). I am a total newbie to FME and unfortunalety i couldn't find a suiting tutorial for my problem.

So far i tested this Workbench workflow:

cityGML Reader->GeometryValidator->SolidBuilder->VolumeCalculator-> Inspector.

Works for cityGMLs up to 600 buildings, but not more. I guess, my approach is totally wrong?Or is there a way to subdivide cityGMLs in FME? I got cityGMLs with up to 14 000 buildings.

Thanks

4 replies

Badge +16

Hi @jobiber, seems strange to me that there should have a cap for the amount of features to process, hopefully somebody from Safe can give a better answer.

Hi @jobiber, seems strange to me that there should have a cap for the amount of features to process, hopefully somebody from Safe can give a better answer.

Hey itay, thanks for the answer.

What do you think of the workflow so far? Do i have to add any other transformers? Or is it the correct approach? There is as well the problem of not getting the attributes through the transforming process. The moment i try to "group by [gml_parent_id]" in the SolidBuilder, to get an ID according to my calculated volumes at least, everthing brakes down. Maybe the AttributExtractor?

Is nobody here on board who calculated volumes out of CityGMLs before and could help me?

Thanks a lot..

Badge +16
Hey itay, thanks for the answer.

What do you think of the workflow so far? Do i have to add any other transformers? Or is it the correct approach? There is as well the problem of not getting the attributes through the transforming process. The moment i try to "group by [gml_parent_id]" in the SolidBuilder, to get an ID according to my calculated volumes at least, everthing brakes down. Maybe the AttributExtractor?

Is nobody here on board who calculated volumes out of CityGMLs before and could help me?

Thanks a lot..

You can use the list option on the SolidBuilder to keep all the attributes of the original features.

Userlevel 4
Badge +25

Hi @jobiber

I think the workflow looks good. When it doesn't work past 600, is there an error message? Does it just stop? Or does it just ignore other data? If you can share your FME log file it would help us to understand what happens.

I would check to see if the 14,000 buildings are grouped in some way, so that you only have 600 groups. Maybe a Deaggregator transformer would help to solve that. That is what I would try first.

You are new to FME, but this is a tough task you have chosen to start with! My second suggestion is to contact our support team for help. See safe.com/support - someone there will be more of an expert in CityGML and will be able to give you help and advice,

Regards

Mark