Question

How to continue loading a shape file into ArcSDE when running into data errors?

• 28 December 2017
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

When loading ESRI shape files into ArcSDE using ArcGIS tools (such as arcpy), the processes usually seamlessly bypass some errors and complete the load. Those errors can include both geometry and attribute errors. However, when using FME to do the same data flow, the process will stop on any errors. Some of the geometry errors can be fixed in GeometryValidator, but some not. I just ran into a shape file which has a row with an invalid attribute value in the dbf file. When loading in ArcGIS, this row is automatically filter out without giving any warnings or errors. But when loading this shape file to ArcSDE in FME, it gives an error, and stop the FME process. Is it possible in FME to force bypassing data errors in loading shape files into ArcSDE? The ESRI shape files and file geodatabases have wider tolerance for geometry and attribute incompatibility or poor integrity, but ArcSDE (Oracle) has more strict rules. This has been a major issue in my converting python arcpy data loading scripts to FME for shape files to ArcSDE.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @ag, there are a couple of parameters on the Writer available in the Navigator that can help you here. You can dump failed features to another location to inspect them later on, you can also set if failed features should be ignored or not.

Badge +4

Hi @ag, there are a couple of parameters on the Writer available in the Navigator that can help you here. You can dump failed features to another location to inspect them later on, you can also set if failed features should be ignored or not.

@TiaAtSafe, great, can't believe I missed these settings for SDE geodatabase.