Question

sketchup writer: move to locad coordinate system puts a small rotation in the model

• 8 February 2019
  • 2 replies

When writing georeferenced object to Sketchup and having the option "Move to Local Coordinate System" set to yes, it makes the model rotate a bit.

If i do not set this option, then SketchUp will not be able to handle the coordinate system so well.

The coordinate system i am trying to move from is Sweref991330.

The aim is to have the shadows correct and the rotation correct. It seems i can not have them both.

Can anyone help?

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @barzo,

In most coordinate systems, if you are not on the center or reference point for the projection, there is a slight angle between grid north and true north. When FME reprojects the data to a local coordinate system, it applies that rotation, since your model will be at the center of that new projection.

If you do not want to apply the rotation, you can move to a local coordinate system manually:

• Pick a reference point on the model that you want to be the new origin.
  • Use a LocalCoordinateSystemSetter to set the new coordinate system. Set the Origin Coordinate System to SWEREF-99-13-30, and the Origin X and Y to the location of the reference point
  • We still need to move the data to fir the new coordinate system. Use an Offsetter transformer, with the X Offset and Y Offset set to negative Origin X and negative Origin Y.

The model will now be in a local coordinate system suitable for writing to Sketchup, and you can set the option "Move to Local Coordinate System" set to no.

Hi @daveatsafe,

I think I exactly did what you suggested. However, I still notice a rotation in my output SketchUp file...

When I manually move my data to a local coordinate system my data is about 100m off. When I just set the option 'Move to Local Coordinate System' to Yes there is just a small rotation in my SketchUp file.

When looking at the data in FME Data Inspector in 2D mode, after manually moving to a local coordinate system and just before writing to SketchUp, the basemap alligns well. The resulting SketchUp file however looks less good..

Attached you can find:

- My workspace (built with FME 2019.1 built 19608)

- Input data (an FFS file built 19608) and

- Two output datasets: 1) the resulting SKP file when manually moving the data to a local coordinate system and 2) the resulting SKP file when simply using the 'Move to Local Coordinate System' option in the Writer.

All data is in the attached data.zip file.

I also attached a couple images that show the results in SketchUp.

Any idea what is causing the problem?

Xander