Solved

How to remove extra coordinates?

• 14 September 2017
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi! I have one problem with coordinates of my objects. For example, I created a simple cube in Revit and exported to IFC file. After that I opened file in FME Data Inspector and I have 24 vertices or coordinates instead of 8 which I think I should have. So they are tripled. Therefore, when I calculate volume it is three times bigger. On the other hand, area calculator works fine. Is there any possibility to remove coordinates and leave only one for each vertex or maybe something else is a problem?

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 14 September 2017, 23:41

View original

4 replies

Badge

Here is the file which I am using cube.zip

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @oliverakaranovi,

The coordinate count is based on a simplified representation of the cube, where it has six faces, each of which has 4 vertices, so the coordinate count is 24.

However, the volume is being calculated incorrectly, possibly due an issue in the geometry. If you run the feature through a GeometryValidator with the Degenerate geometry test, the output feature will have its geometry calculated correctly.

I have created a problem report for our development team to look into this issue.

Badge

Hi @oliverakaranovi,

The coordinate count is based on a simplified representation of the cube, where it has six faces, each of which has 4 vertices, so the coordinate count is 24.

However, the volume is being calculated incorrectly, possibly due an issue in the geometry. If you run the feature through a GeometryValidator with the Degenerate geometry test, the output feature will have its geometry calculated correctly.

I have created a problem report for our development team to look into this issue.

Thank you for your help. I will try Degenerate geometry test.
Badge

Hi @oliverakaranovi,

Hi again! I used Degenerate geometry test and then calculated volume and it is correct. So it is some issue in the geometry, like you said. My question now is what can be a possible problem? Is it possible that I created something wrong in Revit or exported IFC incorrectly? But it is just a simple cube that I created and I exported to IFC with default settings.