Question

Bring readers/writers back to Workspace from Navigation Pane

• 15 November 2012
  • 2 replies

Badge
Hi, it's probably something supersilly but when I have added readers/writers to the Workspace (FME Workbench 2012), delete them, but keep them in the Navigation Pane. How can I get them back to show up in the Workspace?

The solution to this probably also works for the question I have about the XML reader, when I add an XML reader it never shows up in the Workspace it only stays in the Navigation Pane.

I searched the web but I got the impression that I'm the only one with this problem (or the only one not finding the solution :S) and for some reason I keep forgetting to ask somebody else. Now finally there's a community 24/7 ;-)

Cheers,

Annet

2 replies

Hi Annet,

If I understand you correctly, you can uses:

Readers -> Import Feature Types

This allows you to pick the feature types from a specific reader already available in the navigation pane.

I'm not sure about the XML reader I don't have much to do with XML... Perhaps FME validates the XML file first and your file fails to validate?

I know from importing other formats that if a file fails to import it will still be displayed in the naviation pane.

Regards,

-James
Badge +2
Hi Annet,

XML is Don's favourite format and so has a bit of excited coverage on FMEpedia.

James is right that generally you would go Readers->Import Feature Types, however in your case, FME simply is unable to locate any "Feature types" or layers within your XML file.

With XML files, as its simply lines of text, you need to tell FME how to read the XMl. i.e. what tags you're interested in, what is classified as a record, etc.

I'd recommend not using the XML reader at all. I'd just use a Creator and XMLFragmentor. Have a look in the Transformer Help for XMLFragmentor on how to do this. Alternatively have a look on FMEPedia on how to create a XFMAP and thus tell FME how to read your XML file.