Question

Smallworld export unset values as null

• 25 February 2020
  • 4 replies

It seems that the FME translator for Smallworld applies the "unset value" to any field where the value is unset. Is it possible to export a null value instead. We would like to preserve the values as is and not have to try to come up with some convoluted process to deal with it. Only thought I have would be to pick a default value for each field that we know doesn't exist in any of the existing data. We would then have to look for those values after exporting the data from smallworld so we could then again put them back to null. That could be a lot of work for all of the different classes we need to export.

4 replies

Badge +2

@billybuerger You could try NullAttributeMapper.

But to have the GE Smallworld reader upgraded to set "unset value" to <null> you should approach GE Smallworld through your support channel - i.e. SupportCentral - and request a change. They might be able to give you a magik patch.

If you're using the SpatialBiz Smallworld reader then you should approach them directly.

Thanks. From my poking around, I see in the FME plugin for Smallworld where it's assigning the default values. Attempting to make it return a different kind of value causes ACPT errors. So yeah, it's likely something in Smallworld that would need to change. It just seems like something that I would expect other people to have run into and looking to see if there are any known solutions.

Thanks. From my poking around, I see in the FME plugin for Smallworld where it's assigning the default values. Attempting to make it return a different kind of value causes ACPT errors. So yeah, it's likely something in Smallworld that would need to change. It just seems like something that I would expect other people to have run into and looking to see if there are any known solutions.

Hi , you were able to solve this issue? Im also facing same issue

Hi , you were able to solve this issue? Im also facing same issue

We ended up doing what I mentioned. We modified the FME plugin in Smallworld to apply a specific value that we knew wasn't in use as our default value. Then, in the FME workbench, we were able to look for that value and set it to null. The Smallworld FME Translator seems to have some oddities in it that we had to incorporate a number of workarounds for.