Question

ECW Smudging

• 8 November 2013
  • 5 replies

Badge
Does anyone know of a fast and simple way to "smudge" an ECW file?

I know this sounds strange but I essentially want to read a large ECW file and smudge it so that you cannot see any details within the resulting output ECW image.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi,

You can resample it so a lower resolution, I would try on a small aoi first to test the sampling resolutions.

Hope this helps,

Itay
Badge
Thanks for responding so quicky, Itay. But I believe that will make the ECW smaller in size. I know I didn't mention that before but I would like the resulting ECW file to be the same size.

I suppose I don't even care if you can actually make out anything in the ECW file or not so if anyone has a quick trick that can set all of the pixels to the same color, that could do it.

Userlevel 4
Hi,

it might be hard or impossible to set all pixel values of an ECW file to the same color without changing the file size. ECW files are compressed and the compression algorithm will work differently depending on the actual pixel contents.

To blur or otherwise alter an ECW file in a very quick way, consider using the Imagemagick command line tools.

David
Badge
David R.,

Thanks for your suggestion.

I checked out ImageMagick but as far as I can tell, it does not currently support the ECW format. This is according to its online documentation and using the command line identify -list format. I also attempted to open an ECW file and it did not recognize it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
"a quick trick that can set all of the pixels to the same color, that could do it."

Basically you can do that with the RasterCellValueReplacer(s)