Question

SDE writer error: Shape or row not found

• 1 November 2018
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

My workbench reads Ids from an SQL Server database using an SQL Creator. Records with these Ids are deleted via an SDE writer that connects to another database. I use an Attribute creator to add the fme_db_operation DELETE to the feature. I also synchronize INSERTS and UPDATES in a similar way with the same writer. I use the SDE writer because I want to utilize the ArcGIS Archiving functionality.

This process has always worked as intended until recently I have been getting the following error when doing deletes (inserts and updates still work):

Error while deleting feature in the table/feature class 'schema.table'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216104'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Shape or row not found}

As far as I know the workbench has not changed at all. I have tried adding a new sde writer but to no effect.

I have confirmed that the Id I am trying to delete definitely exists, and the record is not archived (I can see it in ArcMap etc.) 'Id' is also set as the Update/Delete Key Field.

My suspicion is that the error code doesn't in fact reflect the problem, or i'm not understanding it properly. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Thank you very much!

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @mnmkrieckaert,

Sorry to hear that you have been struggling with the delete function in the SDE Writer. It's odd that it was working for you before but now produces an error. I have a few quick questions that will help me better investigate the issue:

• Is this happening with the ArcSDE Geodb writer?

• What version of ArcGIS are you running on your computer?

• Would you be able to share a screenshot of your Writer parameters showing what operations you're using?

On the error code, I did notice this article on Interpreting ArcObjects error codes, but it seems to lead to FDO_E_SE_ROW_NOEXIST (for ArcGIS 10.1) and you've already checked that it does indeed exist.