Question

FME Server cannot read JPEG

Badge

I am using a FeatureReader to read specific JPEG images, on desktop it works fine, brings in the JPEG. Once i publish this to FME server i get:

JPEG reader: file '"\\pathname\\filename.JPG"' cannot be located. Please ensure the file exists and is accessible

I know that the path\\filename are correct, and i can go onto the server and access this location and image without any problems.

Any ideas why it can't access it when running the workspace on server though?

Just to also add each image has a .jpg, .jgw and a .xml part to it.

21 replies

Badge +14

Hi Baz, Does the service account that the FME Server services running as, have permissions to read\\write to the disk you're trying to access? That's quite often the issue with this kind of error. When installed FME Server is typically installed so that all services other than the database run as a specific service account whilst the database service runs as a local user. All the best, Dave

Badge

Hi Baz, Does the service account that the FME Server services running as, have permissions to read\\write to the disk you're trying to access? That's quite often the issue with this kind of error. When installed FME Server is typically installed so that all services other than the database run as a specific service account whilst the database service runs as a local user. All the best, Dave

how exactly do you check that? i have asked our IT department to make sure the server can see that location and supposedly it can.

Userlevel 4

If the file is on a network server you have to configure the FME Server Engine service to run as a domain user, as Dave says.

Here's some more info: https://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Server_Documentation/Content/AdminGuide/Running_FME_Server_Engines_Under_Different_Account.htm

Badge +14
how exactly do you check that? i have asked our IT department to make sure the server can see that location and supposedly it can.

You'll need to get to the machine that's running FME Server to check the user account that's running the services:

You'll likely want to see something other than "Local System" for all except the Database, and that user needs to have the correct permissions.
Userlevel 4
You'll need to get to the machine that's running FME Server to check the user account that's running the services:

You'll likely want to see something other than "Local System" for all except the Database, and that user needs to have the correct permissions.
Actually, you only need to reconfigure FME Server Engines, the others you can leave as-is. Otherwise spot on.
Badge
Actually, you only need to reconfigure FME Server Engines, the others you can leave as-is. Otherwise spot on.
so, i have changed FME_Server_Engines log on to a user account that can access the network location i am trying to get to. restarted the service and still no joy.

Userlevel 4

What does the FME Server logs say? The job log?

Badge +14
Agreed, good point @david_r. Though that assumes FME Server wasn't installed with the distributed install options, as that allows allocation of a service account at install point (and all 3 services have their account changed). It's possible that the account that was used might not have quite all of the access creds required. If all services are running as local system though, absolutely, you can likely just get away with changing the Engine service.

Badge

What does the FME Server logs say? The job log?

JPEG reader: file '"\\******\\******.JPG"' cannot be located. Please ensure the file exists and is accessible

Userlevel 4
JPEG reader: file '"\\******\\******.JPG"' cannot be located. Please ensure the file exists and is accessible

Is that exactly what it says? If so, you need a double backslash at the start to denote the server name.
Badge
Is that exactly what it says? If so, you need a double backslash at the start to denote the server name.
i have it as a double backslash in the feature reader, the part in the log before this is:

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `JPEG'FME API version of module 'JPEG' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)Performing query against JPEG dataset `"\\\\******\\******.JPG"'Creating reader for format: JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group)Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `JPEG'FME API version of module 'JPEG' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)JPEG reader: file '"\\******\\******.JPG"' cannot be located. Please ensure the file exists and is accessibleA fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for detailsobviously i have edited the paths as they are business sensitive.
Userlevel 4
i have it as a double backslash in the feature reader, the part in the log before this is:

Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `JPEG'FME API version of module 'JPEG' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)Performing query against JPEG dataset `"\\\\******\\******.JPG"'Creating reader for format: JPEG (Joint Photographic Experts Group)Trying to find a DYNAMIC plugin for reader named `JPEG'FME API version of module 'JPEG' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315)JPEG reader: file '"\\******\\******.JPG"' cannot be located. Please ensure the file exists and is accessibleA fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for detailsobviously i have edited the paths as they are business sensitive.
Is the path to the JPEG file hard-coded directly in the FeatureReader? Or is it stored in an attribute?

Still, I suspect that the domain user that's used by the FME Engines doesn't have access to that folder. Can you verify?

Badge

the path apart from the name of the jpg is hard coded, the attribute name is an attribute i add in using the stringconcatenator and use the result of that in the featurereader.

the domain user can access the folder, also the workspace runs perfectly fine on desktop.

Userlevel 4
the path apart from the name of the jpg is hard coded, the attribute name is an attribute i add in using the stringconcatenator and use the result of that in the featurereader.

the domain user can access the folder, also the workspace runs perfectly fine on desktop.

Not many ideas left, I'm afraid. Is there anything in the engine and/or server log?
Badge

nope nothing that pops out at me. might go back to the IT department and just double check permissions etc..

Userlevel 4
nope nothing that pops out at me. might go back to the IT department and just double check permissions etc..

One thing to try: see if it's possible to log in as the service user and try to access the JPEG from the explorer. You may need help from your IT with that one, however, but it's a great test to see if the permissions are good.
Badge

i am already logged in as that and the JPEG's are accessible, annoyingly. :)

Badge +2

Can you add this network location in the resources section of FME Server and

1. Located the jpeg in the web ui ok

2. Swap out the hardcoded file path and replace it with path to resource location?

If you have the correct permissions to that folder the resources should let you add it as a location no problem.

Badge

Can you add this network location in the resources section of FME Server and

1. Located the jpeg in the web ui ok

2. Swap out the hardcoded file path and replace it with path to resource location?

If you have the correct permissions to that folder the resources should let you add it as a location no problem.

i have added it to resources and i can see the files in the Web UI.

What would be the resource path so i can test that?

cheers

Badge +2
i have added it to resources and i can see the files in the Web UI.

What would be the resource path so i can test that?

cheers

When you're inside the folder in resources, select the file and view properties (this might be under actions). You should be able to find something like this:

So you'd copy the system path, in this case $(FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA)/Jen/

The feature reader may not like it and go red whilst in desktop because desktop doesn't know how to resolve the parameter but on server it should be ok.

You could start with a simple workspace, jpeg to logger with that path as dataset path, just to check it reads ok on server.
Badge

When you're inside the folder in resources, select the file and view properties (this might be under actions). You should be able to find something like this:

So you'd copy the system path, in this case $(FME_SHAREDRESOURCE_DATA)/Jen/

The feature reader may not like it and go red whilst in desktop because desktop doesn't know how to resolve the parameter but on server it should be ok.

You could start with a simple workspace, jpeg to logger with that path as dataset path, just to check it reads ok on server.
Hiya, tried the simple workspace with the system path which comes up as $(Imagery)2016/

workspace comes up with this:

Undefined macro `Imagery' dereferenced in file `/tmp/FME_15173253857_50

6'

Program Terminating

Translation FAILED.

Workspace generation failed. Parameter file was /tmp/FME_15173253857_506.

so it won't even let me add the reader.

tried it like $(Imagery/2016/ but still failed.