Solved

How can I remove FME as the default program on my machine?

After installing FME on my computer, all of my files have defaulted to open in FME. For example an xlsx will now open in FME unless I specify that it should be opened with excel. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

icon

Best answer by cwarren 19 July 2018, 00:38

View original

5 replies

Badge

On Windows 10 you can modify which programs are set to open by default by file, or you could reset them all to the default apps.

Settings - Default App Settings

Badge +5

When I selected the "Make FME the default" on my Workbench install, it did not occur to me that it would associate with...zip files?, Excel?...And the above solution had me switching back my browser default as well. Maybe tone it down and stick with FME-specific extensions?

Badge

Larue was very polite but to me this is a problem that needs addressing.

I counted 286 file associations established by the FME installation and only a handful of those are FME specific files.

1. There probably should be a big flashing warning on installation saying choosing this option will cause FME to associated with hundreds of file extensions.
  2. There should be an option to just install FME specific file extensions

On the bright side when I uninstalled v 2022.1.3 of FME all of the file extensions it grabbed were removed.

Badge +5

Larue was very polite but to me this is a problem that needs addressing.

I counted 286 file associations established by the FME installation and only a handful of those are FME specific files.

1. There probably should be a big flashing warning on installation saying choosing this option will cause FME to associated with hundreds of file extensions.
  2. There should be an option to just install FME specific file extensions

On the bright side when I uninstalled v 2022.1.3 of FME all of the file extensions it grabbed were removed.

Yes, this is still an issue. Even when you select “No” for file associations on install, it seems to grab extensions not explicitly set. I don’t have time to go through all of them and re-associate.

The file association option is now removed.

"The change to remove the install option of file association in FME 2023.0 was intentional."

What is the plan to enable (partial) rollback without uninstall?