Question

How can I keep values from an input autocad reader to a .shp writer?

• 25 October 2018
  • 4 replies
  • 1 view

I am trying to keep elevation values (attribute; autocad_elevation) of a .dwg file in my conversion to a shapefile. I specified in the writer parameters (under the user attributes tab) that the value should be ;left pointing yellow arrow to autocad_elevation. After conversion, I open the .shp in ArcGIS and see that all the attributes I specified are there, but still with no values. Any Help?

thanks!

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

Hi @hugo.crites

Did you rename the attribute in Shape file?

Like this:

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @hugo.crites

Did you rename the attribute in Shape file?

Like this:

Thanks,

Danilo

Hi @danilo_fme, no I did not. I thought also that by linking the reader with the writer it would also link the attributes of the writer and the reader.... I think this is why my output attributes values were empty. Now it leads to another question; how can I bulk link attributes? I have hundreds of .dwg with an elevation attribute I want to carried over to my shapefile writer output. hope this is clear

thanks

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Hi @danilo_fme, no I did not. I thought also that by linking the reader with the writer it would also link the attributes of the writer and the reader.... I think this is why my output attributes values were empty. Now it leads to another question; how can I bulk link attributes? I have hundreds of .dwg with an elevation attribute I want to carried over to my shapefile writer output. hope this is clear

thanks

For them to be linked in bulk there are many ways.

• Give the reader and writer attributes the same names. They will be linked by default
  • Give the reader and writer attributes similar names; eg ROADS -> roads. Use Right-Click > Auto Connect Attributes on the connection line
  • Use View > Windows > Attribute Connections to open a handy management tool
  • Use a lookup table in a SchemaMapper transformer. Check the knowledgebase for plenty of SchemaMapper examples
Hope this helps

Userlevel 4
Badge +30

thanks

Hi @hugo.crites

Great. The suggestion as mentioned you @Mark2AtSafe is good solution for your new question.