Question

Clipper Speed - Comments from SAFE?

Folks, I use FME on a daily basis for complex data processing. The one spot it's failing on is the speed of the clipper.

My scenario: High end 64 bit computer (Win 7 64 gig ram Intel 4 core etc etc) and I have 629 clippers and 152,710 Clippees.

If I do a CLIP within ArcGIS - the process takes under 2 mins.

Attempting to do the same process within FME 64bit - using either the identical geodatabase OR even data saved as FFS - with the transformer set to Clippers first - had not completed the Clipping after 4 hours.  I let a workbench run and it achieved a similar calculation after 7 Hours...

I've even noticed a similar time difference with Mapinfo -- Mins for clipping data versus hours in FME.

I've read posts -and tried things like AREAONAREA calcs after finding all from spatialfilter - But still slow....

I use FME so regularly that i'd love this to be rectified. We suspect that its the difference between trying to handle all the clippers at once, and dealing with them 1 at a time... Its such a vast order of magnitude difference in time - Wondering if their are any other suggestions from SAFE?

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Yep, this is very bad.  Jake, would you be willing to send us your data in (FFS would be great).  We'll put things on the scope and see why we're so darn bad...
Thanks Dale. I can't send the specific file as it's confidential to client. However i can create a similar example from public freely available data ( we've hit this regularly) and send it along with comparisons from Arc, Mapinfo and QGIS. Would be great for Safe to take a look at this and incoporate into the production cycle. Will try getting it out our Fri arvo.

Hi everybody,

I deal with the same Problem - veeery long processing time for clipping data.

Are there some good news?

Here is another - similar - case:

https://knowledge.safe.com/questions/29279/clipper-noticeably-slower-in-20161-in-comparison-w.html

Hi - me again...

I tried it in FME 2017 too and still no speed upgrade...

Badge +21

Hi. Do you ise Parallell Processing? Do you have an example workspace with data I can try with a smaller dataset?

You can also try to use the FeatureReader on the FileGDB containing the Clippees - and use the Spatial Filter Intersects. This will ship the geometry to the database and return only feature within.

Hi sigtill, can I send you the Test-Data via PN?

I can't put them to a public forum :-)

Badge +21
Yes, feel free to send it at sigher(a)norkart.no
Userlevel 3
Badge +13
Yes, feel free to send it at sigher(a)norkart.no

Would definitely like to know at Safe what the issue was here -- if we can get the data and setup sent to support AT safe DOT com as well at some time that would be wonderful.

All those engineers will soon be done polishing FME 2017 and will no doubt be searching for things to do :-)
Badge +21

Hi sigtill, can I send you the Test-Data via PN?

I can't put them to a public forum :-)

Yes, feel free to send it to sigher(a)norkart.no