Question

FME workbench fails after unregistering versioning of an ArcSDE feature class

• 15 February 2013
  • 4 replies

Badge +4
I have a simple FME workbench that loads two shape files into an ArcSDE feature class called LEXCO_LEASE_2. The feature class was versioned and the process ran very slow. To speed up the loading,  I unregistered the versioning in ArcCatalog for this feature class without keeping any edits and change the workbench SDE Transaction Type to TRANSACTIONS. But the workbench failes to run with this error:

An error occurred while attempting to open an insert cursor on the table 'LEXCO_LEASE_2'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147216556'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session [SDE_GOM.LEXCO_LEASE_2]}

I then re-register the versioning, then the workbench runs fine (but very slow).

Anybody know how to fix the error without re-registering versioning for this feature class?

Software Versions:

ArcGIS Desktop 10.0 SP3

FME Desktop 2012 ESRI Edition SP2

Allen

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Is your feature class a part of a geometric/topology network, perhaps? If so, you will either have to delete the network definition (fast) or toggle the reader to use Edit Session insertion mode (See "Transaction Type" under the Writer settings in the Navigator) rather than Transactions (slow).

Also, make sure to close ArcCatalog completely after these of changes to prevent dangling locks.

David
Badge +4
There is an annotation class defined on the feature class. Do I need to delete the annotation class in order to fast load the feature class in Transaction mode.  The Write Mode of the writer is already "INSERT". The "Truncate Table First" for the writter format parameter is 'Yes'.

Allen
Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Apparently writing annotation is slow, especially if it is feature-linked. Maybe this FMEpedia page will help provide an answer?
Badge
I'm having this issue with translating a Smallworld collection to ArcSDE feature classes. When the feature class isn't versioned I now get "The error message from ArcObjects is: {Objects in this class cannot be updated outside an edit session".

(The feature classes had been registered, but I wanted to test running it when it wasn't versioned - due to another translation issue we are having with some written features apparently not being saved).

FME(R) 2017.1.0.0 (20170731 - Build 17539 - WIN32)