Question

how to convert .wrml file to .obj file format?

• 18 September 2018
  • 1 reply

I have a satellite image of the Suomi NPP satellite (nighttime lights). I have use ArcScene to create a 3D model. I exported that model in a .wrml format and I imported it into FME Desktop. I would like to know the workflow for converting a .wrml file to .obj. I am totally new to FME.

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Hi @nikostziokas,

Thanks for your question and welcome to FME! Is there any chance that you might mean a .vrml file? I noticed that we have the VRML Reader but I don't see much mention of .wrml files.

However, if you're finding that you're able to read it in okay, give it a try and add the OBJ writer and connect the reader to it. If this doesn't work I'd recommend inspecting your source file in the Data Inspector to see what the data type is in the Feature Information dialog. OBJs accept meshes/surfaces so you will need to build the surface with transformers such as a GeomtryCoercer.

(Tip: When using transformers it's really helpful to turn on feature caching so you can inspect the visual output at any step in your workspace). Hope this helps get you started! If you find yourself still stuck, it would be helpful for the community if you would be able to share a sample of your data.

- Jovita