Solved

Reading multi-patch geometry from File GeoDatabase

• 19 September 2017
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi,

I am trying to read a multipatch geometry from ESRI File Geodatabase and getting the following error:

FME API version of module 'FILEGDB' matches current internal version (3.8 20170315) FileGDB Reader: Feature class '*****' has shape type 'esriGeometryMultiPatch' which is unknown to FME. Skipping feature class

(I am using OSX version of FME Desktop 2017.1, build 17539). I was wondering if it's supported on Windows with FGDB (ArcObject based format). Is MultiPatch Geometry reading supported by FME using Shapefiles?

I appreciate any advice on this (puzzling for me) question.

Kind regards,

Alexander

icon

Best answer by geosander 19 September 2017, 07:39

View original

3 replies

Badge

The File Geodatabase API can't read multipatch features, unfortunately. This is not a shortcoming of FME, but caused by Esri's API that is rather limited.

There are a couple of other options:

1) You'd have to use the ArcObjects reader instead. But then you need to switch to Windows and buy an Esri license...

2) You need to find a way to export your File Geodatabase to a multipatch shapefile (no wonder that format is still so popular...) and read that with FME to process it further.

Badge +11

The File Geodatabase API can't read multipatch features, unfortunately. This is not a shortcoming of FME, but caused by Esri's API that is rather limited.

There are a couple of other options:

1) You'd have to use the ArcObjects reader instead. But then you need to switch to Windows and buy an Esri license...

2) You need to find a way to export your File Geodatabase to a multipatch shapefile (no wonder that format is still so popular...) and read that with FME to process it further.

Keep in mind, that Shape Multipatch doesn't support texture!

Badge
Keep in mind, that Shape Multipatch doesn't support texture!

True, yes, thanks for the addition.