Question

ArcSDE Geodatabase Locks

Hello, I'm new to FME and have a workbench that does a dgn to ArcSDE geodatabase (SQL Server)  feature class conversion of points.  I have the "drop table" set to "yes" which I assume deletes all the features in the SDE geodatabase before writing to it.  To that end, when I run the workbench, I get the error below.  I can see that the geodatabase has locks from ArcGIS Server (we have three instances of ArcGIS Servers running).  I would have to manually stop each ArcGIS Server instance before running the workbench to get it to run correctly.  Is there a better way to run the workbench and update the data?

Unable to drop the table/feature class 'Bollard'. The error number from ArcObjects is: '-2147215875'. The error message from ArcObjects is: {Table is already locked [aoc_gis.GISADMIN.Bollard]}

A fatal error has occurred. Check the logfile above for details.

Thank you

Steve

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
Hi Steve,

Some time ago I was also investigating how to run a FME script on a locked ESRI gdb. Unfortunatly the ESRI methodology of locking isnt very flexible or user friendly when interacting with outside applications.

In your situation, with 3 potential lockers, I would look into the possibility of using a versioned  db type, or  scheduale the script to run when locking doesnt takes place (if at all possible).

Cheers,

Itay

Userlevel 4
Hi Steve,

rather than dropping the table, consider truncating it instead. That is usually more lock-friendly and would have the same net effect, as long as the table schema is stable (doesn't change between translations).

Also have a look at this fmepedia article that uses an SDEQuerier to update records on a non-versioned SDE Geodatabase feature class, which might give you some further ideas.

David
David and Italy, thank you for the responses.  The truncate table option seems to be doing the trick!
Badge +1
Steve, 

Yeah Droping table is the equivolent of deleting the table.  Truncate just deletes the features or rows.

Chris