Solved

Insert external reference

Badge +1

Hi,

I've been trying too use autocad_xref_path and autocad_xref_name to insert file (another dwg) into REALDWG writer feature type. It should be basic. But it's not working. No warnings, no errors.

Did anyone succesfully managed to do that? Can you explain me what am I doing wrong

Regards,

Želimir

icon

Best answer by daveatsafe 7 November 2017, 20:28

View original

14 replies

Badge

Maybe this link should help you.

Note that the autocad_entity must be autocad_xref.

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Hi @zzupljanin,

As well as the path and name, you will also need to create a point geometry on the Xref feature for the Xref location, and set autocad_entity to autocad_xref.

If you are setting a relative path to the Xref, please ensure that it is valid for the output file location.

Example:

autocad_entity:       autocad_xref
autocad_xref_name:    MyRef
autocad_xref_path:    c:\test\MyRef.dwg
or 
autocad_xref_path:    .\MyRef.dwg

Badge +1

Hi @zzupljanin,

As well as the path and name, you will also need to create a point geometry on the Xref feature for the Xref location, and set autocad_entity to autocad_xref.

If you are setting a relative path to the Xref, please ensure that it is valid for the output file location.

Example:

or 

That works. Thank you. Also, can I attach image as xref?
Userlevel 2
Badge +17
That works. Thank you. Also, can I attach image as xref?
You can't write an Xref that points to an image. However you can write a raster feature to DWG, and FME will write both the image and create the reference within the DWG file for you. You can try this by doing a GeoTIFF to DWG conversion.

Badge +1
You can't write an Xref that points to an image. However you can write a raster feature to DWG, and FME will write both the image and create the reference within the DWG file for you. You can try this by doing a GeoTIFF to DWG conversion.

Thanks @DaveAtSafe

But that will create png image along with dwg. Can GeoTIFF be inserted in DWG somehow?

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Thanks @DaveAtSafe

But that will create png image along with dwg. Can GeoTIFF be inserted in DWG somehow?

Not at present. I have created an enhancement request to let you control the format of the sidecar image, and will notify you when this is available in beta.

Badge
Not at present. I have created an enhancement request to let you control the format of the sidecar image, and will notify you when this is available in beta.

@daveatsafe is there any update on this?

Badge

Hi @zzupljanin,

Example:

or 

hi @daveatsafe

I can't understand what the trick is. Could you post a n example file/workbench?

that would be great! :-)

Thanks!

André

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

hi @daveatsafe

I can't understand what the trick is. Could you post a n example file/workbench?

that would be great! :-)

Thanks!

André

Hi @sprongandre,

Sure. Here is a simple workspace that prompts for the file to Xref into a newly created DWG file.

Badge +21
Thanks @DaveAtSafe

Any update on this? Would be great to just point to an existing tif/jpg/png file. @daveatsafe

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

Any update on this? Would be great to just point to an existing tif/jpg/png file. @daveatsafe

Sorry, still in the pipeline.

Badge +1

Hi @zzupljanin​ ,

Can you give me a hand setting external references to dwgs exported from fme?

I am unable to set the xref correctly. My path is set as absolute and i have binded the xref into a template dwg.

Exporting new dwg based on template gets no information about xref. My xref is another dwg with cadastral layers...

Thanks in advance. Greetings from SLO.

Miha

Badge +1

Hi @miharobar​ ,

you're approach is kind of different than mine. And while it is inovative, I can't confirm or deny that it will work as expected (shoutout to Safers for concrete answer). I will test it and give you my remarks.

However, you could use my approach and basically "hardcode" referenced dwg in your fmw.

1. Add Creator: Point with 0,0
  2. Add AttributeManager after that with attributes:
    1. autocad_entity: autocad_xref
    2. autocad_xref_name: MyRef
    3. autocad_xref_path: c:\\test\\MyRef.dwg
  3. write it to e.g. 0 layer
  4. write all data however you want

Of course, MyRef is your dwg with cadastral layers.

Please let me know if this solution suits you or if I didn't understood your problem correctly

Badge +1

Hi,

it worked for me too! Thank you very much. Interesting way how to solve this problem!

I hope some FME days will be soon able to visit at Zagreb.

Miha