Question

Manipulating the data of excel file with many sheets

Badge

Hello,

I'm new in FME but have some basic knowledge. I am trying to fetch some data from excel file and use it for analysis and making graphical representations (charts) but I am stuck with the steps much prior to this analysis. Unfortunately, excel file is not very well organized nor structured so I'm trying to overcome this problems and I managed to read some amount of data in structured form.

What I'm having problem with is this: excel is organized in many sheet: first (main) sheet has summary data from all the rest of sheets and one column is hyperlink to a specific sheet which holds the data in more detail. I would like that after the running of the workbench I have the ability to choose the specific sheet for analysis based on list of sheets I have already obtained from hyperlinks in the main sheet.

I tried to figure this out for the whole day without success. I would appreciate any suggestions or pointers.

Thank you in advance!

4 replies

Badge +22

I would consider using a regular excel reader on the main sheet only, and analysing it to determine which additional sheets (feature types) need to be read in, and then using a feature reader on the same excel file to read in that specific sheet.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

This does sound like quite an interesting setup. If you could post a scaled down (data removed?) mockup Excel file, that might help others dig in.

Badge

Thank you both very much for your effort. Sorry for taking me so long time to respond - I wasn't able to use FME for the last several days. I have prepared some mockup file, as asked, so I would appreciate any help with this issue.mockup.xlsx

Badge +22

Here's the basic concept: excelreadsheetdynamically.fmw

The trick to remember is to enable hyperlinks when initially adding the main excel reader.