Question

Directory watch with schedul option

I'm using directory watch with FME server 2019 to trigger a workspace when a file is updated. the Directory watch is set to watch the directory every days. For now, when there is an update, It run the workspace at noon, and i wish to wait till midnight before the workspace start. Is there a way to add a time option for when the directory watch start ? or a waiting time before the workspace start ?

Thank's

3 replies

Userlevel 4

In your case I would not use the directory watch notification (which I find most useful for very frequent checks), but a regular scheduled job that is launched every day at midnight.

Thank you @david_r for your quick answer, but I’ve already thought about it. The thing is that, I have a workspace that takes up to 6 hours to complete and uses a lot of our resources. The directory I watch is updated every 2, 3, or 4 weeks, without it being done on a regular basis. For these reasons, I wouldn’t want to start the workspace every night since, in the best case, it would run 13 times out of 14 for nothing. I also thought to do a scheduled job every week, but when the file is updated, my organization would like it to be processed within 24 hours.

Userlevel 4

Thank you @david_r for your quick answer, but I’ve already thought about it. The thing is that, I have a workspace that takes up to 6 hours to complete and uses a lot of our resources. The directory I watch is updated every 2, 3, or 4 weeks, without it being done on a regular basis. For these reasons, I wouldn’t want to start the workspace every night since, in the best case, it would run 13 times out of 14 for nothing. I also thought to do a scheduled job every week, but when the file is updated, my organization would like it to be processed within 24 hours.

I understand, but the if the triggered workspace is properly made it shouldn't need to run for more than a couple of seconds if no new file is present in the watched directory.

As far as I know there is no option for the directory watcher to only trigger at a specific time, as you describe it above. One way or another, I suspect that you'll have to do things differently to make it work the way you want.