Question

How to Convert JSON to Shapefile

• 31 July 2018
  • 3 replies

Hi,

I'm trying the FME Trial to convert a JSON file to an ESRI Shapefile, but I'm having issues with the conversion.

The JSON file contains 354 polygons, and each polygon has a list of information (features?).

How to configure the Readers and Writers to perform this task well?

Thanks a lot!

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17
Some JSON transformers might help you, but the specific way depends on the actual structure of the JSON document. If you would post the document here, we could consider a solution.

Hi, you might use the 'Single Merged Feature Type' Option in your Reader to read your files in a "grouped way".

And to write them, just add a Writer selecting 'Shapefile definition' = 'Automatic' and naming with 'fme_feature_type' like this

Then link both Reader and Writer and go for it !!

Badge +2

Hi @john_donnatello, Thanks for trialing FME! Looks like @aurelienchaumet has given you some good suggestions. @takashi is also right, that sometimes how to process Json data is also depended on the structure of the data. Since you are new to FME, I'd just like to recommend some introductory resources that might help you out in your trial process:

• first, I'd highly recommend checking out this getting started tutorial, which should provide some helpful core concept about FME to make your experience go smoother.
  • then, this getting started with Json tutorial should help you understand some key terminologies about Json, and also how to use FME to work with this format.