Solved

Can I modify the number of characters in user attribute name length for a writer?

• 29 January 2016
  • 5 replies

Hello.

I'm working on FME workbench 2014. I stumbled upon an issue when creating a writer. It seems like I can't put in a name of an user attribute that has more than 10 characters. If I put in a longer name, FME automatically reduces it to 10. Is there a way to fix this?

Regards,

Bjorn M

icon

Best answer by davideagle 29 January 2016, 11:07

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

If the destination format is Esri Shape, maximum length of attribute name is restricted to 10 bytes by the format specification, FME just follows the restriction.

Badge +14

When you get issues like this always refer to the FME Readers and Writers Reference manual as it often will describe these types of format limitations:

http://docs.safe.com/fme/html/FME_Desktop_Documentation/FME_ReadersWriters/Format-List-All.htm

In this case @takashi has I'm sure got it spot on, that you are trying to work with the Shape format?

Thanks for your answers.

You are correct, I am working with tha Shape format. Forgot to include that.

I wasn't aware of this restriction, so thanks for pointing that out.

If the destination format is Esri Shape, maximum length of attribute name is restricted to 10 bytes by the format specification, FME just follows the restriction.

Is there any way in FME to expand the field name length?

Userlevel 1
Badge +11

Is there any way in FME to expand the field name length?

Hi @ainelojaan,

unfortunately as Takashi has said, the 10byte limit is due to the esri shapefile format structure, so in order for us to write out a correct shapefile, it has to follow those specifications. If you're looking for a workaround to write longer field names, the file geodatabase format may be a good alternative, and it also allows for field aliases unlike the shapefile.

If you have any further questions on it, please feel free to post a new question, as I worry this old thread from a few years ago may be easily overlooked. Thanks!