Question

FTP Watcher just re detected all of the files on our FTP

• 17 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

I'm looking for anyone else who might have experienced something similar. I have come back into the office on Monday to find that the FTPWatcher on the FME Cloud has just detected all of the files on our FTP server as newly created....which caused a lot of workspaces to run....

I suspect something must have happened to the FTP Server itself, however, I can't see anything which might have happened. When looking at the files using Filezilla all of the dates and times of the files seem correct.

There is this snippet from the ftpwathch.log which seems to be right before all of the new triggered. There is no timestamp on it, unfortunately.

it.sauronsoftware.ftp4j.FTPException [code=550, message= Data channel timed out.]
at it.sauronsoftware.ftp4j.FTPClient.list(FTPClient.java:2169)
at it.sauronsoftware.ftp4j.FTPClient.list(FTPClient.java:2273)
at COM.safe.fmeserver.relay.plugin.ftpwatch.FTPWatchPollingThread.retrieveFileInfoRecursively(FTPWatchPollingThread.java:342)
at COM.safe.fmeserver.relay.plugin.ftpwatch.FTPWatchPollingThread.retrieveFilesOnServerWhenPolled(FTPWatchPollingThread.java:370)
at COM.safe.fmeserver.relay.plugin.ftpwatch.FTPWatchPollingThread.poll(FTPWatchPollingThread.java:165)
at COM.safe.fmeserver.relay.plugin.ftpwatch.FTPWatchPollingThread.run(FTPWatchPollingThread.java:102)<br>

On google 'Data channel timed out' seems to have firewalls as a common cause, however, I can't see how this could be related.

Anyone have an insight on this? 

Our FME Server version is 17725. Last restart of the instance was on Thursday, a couple of day before this happened.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Update on this one.

It's just happened again. This time I know that it was firewall related. The firewall settings were changed and, for a couple of hours, the FTP Server was not reachable by FME Server. After a couple of hours, once the firewall settings were back in place, FME Server Re detected all the files on the server as 'newly created' Triggering all the jobs to run again.

Perhaps @jlutherthomas you could help me understand how this might have happened and how I might be able to prevent it in case it happens again.
Badge +2

Update on this one.

It's just happened again. This time I know that it was firewall related. The firewall settings were changed and, for a couple of hours, the FTP Server was not reachable by FME Server. After a couple of hours, once the firewall settings were back in place, FME Server Re detected all the files on the server as 'newly created' Triggering all the jobs to run again.

Perhaps @jlutherthomas you could help me understand how this might have happened and how I might be able to prevent it in case it happens again.

Thanks for following up on this @virtualcitymatt! It looks like this is a bug so I will file it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +26

Thanks for following up on this @virtualcitymatt! It looks like this is a bug so I will file it.

Awesome, Thanks Jen! :-)