Question

FME Desktop 2018 won't run translations anymore!

• 5 April 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge

My translations won't run today! They worked fine yesterday. I was using the first release of 2018 (Build #18284). I just upgraded to the latest beta (Build #18445), but that didn't solve it. I'm aware of the issue with ESRI's Geoprocessing patch and ArcGIS Pro, but that has been installed for several months and my models have been working fine during that time. I also checked for the Windows KB patch for the Spectre virus and that has not been installed, so that shouldn't be it either. This is catastrophic for us, and I need help ASAP!

8 replies

Userlevel 4

Can you be a bit more specific? Are you able to open FME Workbench? Do you have any logs or screenshots that you could share?

Badge

I open FME Workbench 2018.1, I load the model that ran fine yesterday, I click the Run Translation button (the green triangle), and I immediately get a message "Error running translation" in the Translation Log window. See the attached screen shot.fmeproblem.jpg

Userlevel 4

Thanks for the screenshot. Hard to say, however. I would recommend sending the workspace to Safe support for analysis. The fact that you've re-installed FME and that it still doesn't start at all could potentially point at a corrupt fmw file.

Perhaps also retrying while removing one writer after another, then one reader after another.

Also try removing all and any scripts in your workspace to see if that makes a difference.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Sorry to hear this @steveg374 -- suggest you get on live chat with us this afternoon or as soon as possible and we can dig in with you. From what you've shown, it seems to me like an installation issue of some kind -- FME is just not even starting up. I'm curious if you're on Windows 32 bit -- there have been some issues with Java needing more memory and so perhaps that is the problem. I'd suggest you run the command line that it shows from a command window -- we may get more intel there.

Badge +11

Hi @steveg374, please note that you are able to have multiple FME Desktop installations of different builds or versions (just make sure the directories differ) – if you try reinstalling 2018.0, do you still receive errors running translations?

I'm curious if it's specific to this build of 2018.1.. – and does it affect all workspaces or only existing workspaces?

Badge
Thanks for all of the replies. I did go to Live Chat and, although the original problem is still there, I was able to implement a work-around. As a test, I tried logging in with a different user account and found that that different user account could run the models just fine. This led us to think it had something to do with my profile. So we created a brand new user account for me to use, I logged in and setup FME with the configuration settings that my other account used. At that point, I was able to run my models. So I'm just going to continue using this new account.

Another odd thing though - I have Scheduled Tasks set to run unattended using my former account (now hosed up). We tested the scheduled tasks and they still run like they're supposed to. I just can't run the models from FME Workbench with that account. Also, I could run the models from a command prompt using my former account as well. Very weird. But like I said, I think I'll be okay using the newly setup user account.

Thanks again for the attention to my problem. I'm a huge fan of FME and really couldn't do my job without it.

Badge +8

Hi guys, what struct me in ths problem is a similar behavior of FME Server when we found out our security team removed the write permissions on the logging folder. Just the message "Error running translation". @steveg374 might this have anything to do with setting a logfile destination having no write permissions? Anyway, I'm just wondering, glad the problem has been worked around by. Also found this, so my suggestion might be nothing.

Badge

Hi guys, what struct me in ths problem is a similar behavior of FME Server when we found out our security team removed the write permissions on the logging folder. Just the message "Error running translation". @steveg374 might this have anything to do with setting a logfile destination having no write permissions? Anyway, I'm just wondering, glad the problem has been worked around by. Also found this, so my suggestion might be nothing.

That certainly sounds like the same symptom I was having, but I don't think my permissions and/or log file location were changed. (I've chalked it up to "Gremlins", but that doesn't really help figure out the real cause). It's possible someone on the IT back-end or someone else in our GIS Dept was monkeying around with the permissions and I just am not aware of it.