Question

Revit export in rvz format compared to ifc format for CityGMl transformation

• 15 July 2016
  • 2 replies

I have a 3D building model done in Revit. My objective is to export it in a cityGML format with a LOD 2 and LOD 4. I wish to have only one workbench that can generate either the LOD2 or the LOD4.

I am using the BIM to GIS Advanced Tutorial workbench. It work great for my LOD 4. To achieve the LOD 2, I disable some of the writer and it work great, except that my external walls have holes for the windows and doors, or in LOD2 we wish to have the walls plain.

If I export the revit file in IFC format, in the reader parameter, I have the option to omit the openings but if I export in rvz format there is not such option in the reader parameter.

The BIM to GIS Advanced Tutorial workbench does not work if I used a IFC format as reader, so is it possible in the rvz format to overcome the opening generated by the windows and doors?

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +17

The Revit reader's data views do quite a bit of processing on the source data, and the logic of that processing assumes that the model is built completely, so the holes in the walls must be created.

A better starting point for your LOD2 output may be the BIM to GIS Intermediate example, which converts from IFC to CityGML (https://knowledge.safe.com/articles/1025/bim-to-gis-intermediate-ifc-lod-300-to-lod-4-cityg.html). This will allow you to turn off the hole creation in the IFC reader.

BTW, the Revit reader can read IFC files, and the IFC reader can read RVZ files. The main difference between the two readers is the Data Views in the Revit reader.

@DaveAtSafe

Hi Dave, I am still not managing to produce a LOD2 with the advanced or intermediate tutorial file, so I have restarted with the basic tutorial and I am trying to produce a CityGML LOD 2 file with 3 features. But my result give me only one feature. Refer to my attached workbench ifctocitygml-block-231-160801-2.fmw