Question

Translation tool log stops, tool hangs

• 7 February 2014
  • 3 replies
  • 1 view

Badge
I have a workbench tool created via ArcGIS 10.2 Data Interop. This tool does a direct copy of feature classes from one feature data set to another in an Oracle sde geodatabase. The tool seems to run fine, then the log file just stops.

I have already seen the FMEpedia artice: "Translation pauses and no more logging output is seen", but none of that seems to help- I have a dedicated FME_TEMP folder set, I have purged temporary files, recycle bin is empty.

What else can be causing this translation to hang?

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +25
Hard to tell based on this information, it could be a number of things. Is there any indication at the end of the log file as to why it's stopping? Does the process actually halt? Is there processor activity (check with the Task Manager) on that process?
Badge
There was nothing at the end of the log about what caused it to stop. Yes, the process does actually halt. Task Manager shows nothing going on. I even left it overnight once to see if anything would happen. The translation is really stopped.

I think I have solved the problem by switching writers and tinkering with the writer parameters until it worked.

I initially had ESRI Geodatabase (ArcSDE Geodatabase) for a writer, then I tried switching to ESRI ArcSDE as recommended in this:

http://fmepedia.safe.com/articles/FAQ/Improving-Performance-when-working-with-Geodatabases

That at least gave me the error messages to find out that I was trying to write to unversioned data using a connection file to a version.

I switched to the Oracle Spatial Object writer, but still had to fiddle with the Format Parameters to get it to work: Create Table (No); Truncate Existing Table (Yes); Update Key Columns (I picked everything that existed in the output schema).

The only strange thing is that the translation seems to output the SHAPE.AREA and SHAPE.LENGTH. That makes me feel a bit suspicious...
Badge
I meant to write that the translation does NOT populate SHAPE.AREA and SHAPE.LENGTH. All the other fields are populated.