Question

Custom reader providing multiple feature types

• 10 June 2016
  • 1 reply

Badge

I am in the process of developing a java based reader/writer for a custom data format. That data format is a single file containing records of different data types. I have implemented the readSchema() method in the reader and the information is also retrieved by FME when the reader is added. However, only one feature type (the last type reported by readSchema()) is added to the list of feature types and the workspace. When the feature types are extracted by adding a new writer with the option "Extract from dataset...", all feature types are successfully extracted and added to the workspace.

Is there anything special that is needed in either the code or the metafile to enable that functionality for the reader? I can see from the spatialite reader, that it is possible after all but currently i have no idea what controls that behavior.

1 reply

Hi @maku

As I mentioned elsewhere today, we don't have a lot of online documentation or examples for developers. However, what we do have is an FME Developers program. You can find more information on our web site. As a member of that program you'll get extra support, and maybe free licenses for testing. You'll also get access to any other documentation that we have on the subject. On occasions some developers even visit us in Vancouver to get expert, one-to-one assistance.

So, if you don't get a good answer from another user here, the best thing to do would be to sign up for that program and get help directly from our development team.

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer, but I hope this will help in the long run

Regards

Mark