Question

Problem handling JSON from a table column in the same way as the JSON reader

• 4 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Badge +5

I have a workbench which takes a file of JSon using the JSON reader and this automatically formats the data array in the JSON into a fme list which I can then explode and process. In doing this I've not had to provide any map of the JSON. i now need that JSON text to be accessed from a column in a database table. I have therefore a SQL Server reader to read that table and have experimented with JSON flattener and fragmenter to push the attribute into. Neither seem to give the required result and I'm thinking that to use either I need to describe the entire file in some way which is not practical.

i've tried a couple of the examples that others have provided and I cannot see any yet that give me what the JSON reader provides.

Help!

Rob

4 replies

Badge +2

@rob_m_esriuk It should b doable with the JSONFlattener or JSONFragmenter. If you can attach a small example of the JSON, and part of the workspace where your reading the JSON as a file, then someone in the community might be able to chip in from there.

Badge +5

@markatsafe, I'm sure it is doable, but really can't get the same result. I've obfuscated a bit of JSON (it's for a customer so I'm not sure I can just share it and the structure looks like this

{

"version" : "#.##",

"timeZone" : "0.0",

"timeSeries" : [ {

"header" : {

"type" : "?????????",

"locationId" : "????????",

"parameterId" : "????????????",

"ensembleId" : "??????",

"ensembleMemberIndex" : "?",

"timeStep" : {

"unit" : "second",

"multiplier" : "???"

},

"startDate" : {

"date" : "????-??-??",

"time" : "??:??:??"

},

"endDate" : {

"time" : "??:??:??"

},

"missVal" : "?????",

"stationName" : "????????????",

"lat" : "??.?????????????",

"lon" : "??.?????????????",

"x" : "??????",

"y" : "??????",

"z" : "????",

"units" : "m"

}

},

"events" : [ {

"time" : "??:??:??",

"value" : "?????",

"flag" : "?"

},"events" : [ {

},

and when I run it through the JSON reader it instantly interprets the timeSeries as shown in the attached image. I've tried the Json fragmenter (picture) and then used the attribute exposer, importing the time series as described by @deanatsafe but when I run the subsequent list exploder appears to have trouble with finding the list.

Userlevel 6
Badge +33

Why not just write the json (FeatureWriter) you read from the database to a temp file (TempPathnameCreator) and read the file like you are used to? (FeatureReader)

Badge +5

Why not just write the json (FeatureWriter) you read from the database to a temp file (TempPathnameCreator) and read the file like you are used to? (FeatureReader)

This has occurred to me - and I guess may be the end result, it just seemed a bit clunky, however it now appears that I need to get a list of locations in the json to predicate a reader so it may be the way that I have to go to pre-write and pre-process the Json