Solved

Data Inspector doesn't open up automatically anymore in FME 2018

Hi,

The "Data Inspector" does not starting automatically anymore then "Connect Inspector" in FME Workbench ver FME(R) 2018.0.1.1 (20180615 - Build 18312 - WIN64).

I have tried to uninstall and then install again...

It is working if I click on "Enable Feature Caching" and then click on the "Click to inspect cached features". Then the Data inspector launches and is viewing the features.

FME ver 2017 worked fine on my computer...

And the inspector is not disabled and the job ended with "Translation was SUCCESSFUL".

Best regards,

Jonas

icon

Best answer by mark2atsafe 27 June 2018, 21:27

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

It sounds like the Data Inspector itself works fine if you can get it started up. Can you verify that you can run Data Inspector from the Start Menu (if you're not windows 10 -- the Windows menu if you are).

The "Inspector" transformer uses a system call to start the Data Inspector in a slightly different way than the "click to inspect" does. So it must be something about your installation in that situation that is causing problems. Is there anything odd about your FME installation path? If you could post the logs from a run that should have started an Inspector but doesn't that would be useful as well.

It sounds like the Data Inspector itself works fine if you can get it started up. Can you verify that you can run Data Inspector from the Start Menu (if you're not windows 10 -- the Windows menu if you are).

The "Inspector" transformer uses a system call to start the Data Inspector in a slightly different way than the "click to inspect" does. So it must be something about your installation in that situation that is causing problems. Is there anything odd about your FME installation path? If you could post the logs from a run that should have started an Inspector but doesn't that would be useful as well.

Hi daleatsafe,

I have Win 10 pro and the Data Inspector is running from the shortcut in Start Menu.

I attache som files in di.zip

And if I check the "Redirect to FME Data Inspector" under Writers, the Data Inspector does not start but the text "All writer output has been redirected to the Data Inspector" in blue is in the end of log file...

Best regards,

Jonas

Badge

I have the exact same issue. Happens after a while into any Workbench session. After reboot i works again for while until it stops again. I can always start Inspector from the start menu.

I have the exact same issue. Happens after a while into any Workbench session. After reboot i works again for while until it stops again. I can always start Inspector from the start menu.

Hi atle_hoidalen

Okay interesting...

For me it does not help to reboot computer...

I worked okay in FME ver 2017 so I first thought it was a bug in 2018 of FME...

Best regards,

Jonas
Userlevel 4
Badge +25

I've had that a few times too. It seems to be an existing process is running; for example the DI failed and when WB tries to restart it there's still an existing process. So check for existing Inspector processes and kill them off, and it should start fine.

The developers are aware of the issue and it is fixed, I am told, in FME2018.1

I've had that a few times too. It seems to be an existing process is running; for example the DI failed and when WB tries to restart it there's still an existing process. So check for existing Inspector processes and kill them off, and it should start fine.

Hi Mark2AtSafe,

Okay sounds great but it did not help on my home computer...

But I run FME 2018.0 Pro on my job and that works fine all day long so I am thinking there either something wrong with my FME installation at hone or if there is a limitation of the home license?

Edition: FME Home Edition (node locked-crc)

Version: FME(R) 2018.0.1.1 (20180615 - Build 18312 - WIN64)

Locale: sv_SE

Codepage: 1252 (ANSI - Latin I)

Registration Key: 0-572-859-301

Best regards,

Jonas

I have the same issues. The Data Inspector just hangs at the "Initializing User Interface" stage. It is the same for 2018.0 and 2018.1 which I just upgraded to. So the computer has been rebooted many times, the application upgraded, it's not tied to processes running. It doesn't work if I try to open it from the start menu OR call it one way or another. RIP Data Inspector. Part of me wants to downgrade to 2017.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

I have the same issues. The Data Inspector just hangs at the "Initializing User Interface" stage. It is the same for 2018.0 and 2018.1 which I just upgraded to. So the computer has been rebooted many times, the application upgraded, it's not tied to processes running. It doesn't work if I try to open it from the start menu OR call it one way or another. RIP Data Inspector. Part of me wants to downgrade to 2017.

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention @paperpanther. I haven't found any similar reports for FME 2018.x yet, so we would be very interested in seeing what's happening in your case. I want to get one of our developers involved and will send you a direct message here shortly with some further details.

Userlevel 1
Badge +10

If anyone else happens to experience a similar issue as @paperpanther (who is using Windows 7 and the 32-bit version of FME), please feel free to file a case with our support team referencing issue FMEDI-3825.

If anyone else happens to experience a similar issue as @paperpanther (who is using Windows 7 and the 32-bit version of FME), please feel free to file a case with our support team referencing issue FMEDI-3825.

Hi,

I just installed the latest 2018.1.0.2 64-bit application, got the same error. I can start the inspector from start menu. But the inspector inside the workbench does not started automatically.

Good evening,

I finally solved it!

After I installed latest FME version 2018.1.0.3 (20180926 - Build 18552 - Win64) it worked like it should again.

/Jonas

Good evening,

I finally solved it!

After I installed latest FME version 2018.1.0.3 (20180926 - Build 18552 - Win64) it worked like it should again.

/Jonas

Good evening,

I finally solved it!

/Jonas

Good evening,

I finally solved it!

/Jonas