Question

Populating a MS SQL Server Database by reading in and also formatting certain columns from an .xlsx sheet.

• 3 June 2016
  • 1 reply
  • 1 view

Hello everyone,

I am new to working with Data beyond the basics, and have recently been placed in a position to start learning new ways to simplify workflow, and was pointed to the FME system to see what it can do. What I need is to populate an existing (empty rows) SQL database with data given by a client concerning their property assets in an .xlsx Excel spreadsheet, while being able to query and change the formatting of certain columns during the 'translation' process, instead of manually trying the built in import tool in SQL Server and then using a separate script file to individually query the desired column data.

For example, I need the data in the AcquisitionMethod column from the spreadsheet copied to the SQL DB under acquisition_method while being queried by the script below, while other Columns need no scripting, just copying, and this all at once, if possible;

case when [AcquisitionMethod] = 'Donation' then 'DONATION' when [AcquisitionMethod] = 'Purchase' then 'PURCHASE' when [AcquisitionMethod] = 'Transfer' then 'TRANSFER' else null end as acquisition_method

Should there be any other better and simpler ways to do this I am all ears, as I am totally new to the world of Data Manipulation.

Thanks in advance,

R.

1 reply

Badge +2

FME is a very good contender for this task. We have several resources that you might use to explore how FME can restructure your Excel data and load the data into SQL Server. Our recorded webinars are a good place to start for conceptual ideas (just search for 'database'). We have a database tutorial you can look through. You can download an evaluation copy of FME and start to work with your data. But I think the best way to establish whether FME is suitable for your task is to take our free, on-line instructor lead FME Desktop training. Once you have established that FME can meet your needs then we can help you fine tune your workflow by contacting us through www.safe.com/support